• Welcome to Japanese Gardening Forums 日本の園芸フォーラム. Please login or sign up.
July 04, 2020, 01:07:22 pm

News:

AMAZON and JGO.  Amazon makes a contribution to JGO at no cost to you when you purchase through Amazon Smile.  Select Japanese Gardening Organization as your Amazon non-profit here:  https://smile.amazon.com/

Tara from Upland (California)

Started by taralynna, May 08, 2008, 12:19:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

taralynna

Hello all.

As some of you know, I bought a house 1 year ago in April.  The house is a fixer upper and it included what looked like a hole in the ground 22' long x 8' wide (3,000 gall) with water so green and thick that I was shocked to find fish in it.  Thank goodness they had bubblers in the pond, there were 12 koi.  I immediatly hired a pond company to clean out the pond and make any repairs necessary.  Unfortunately, I got scammed pretty badly.  Now I'm a DIY'er. 

Once I fell in love with the pond and the koi I began to entertain the idea of a Japanese garden.  That is why I'm here in a nutshell. 

In case your curious the koi, all but 1 have survived.  I have 2 that are near 20" long, 2 that are about 18" long, some carp looking ones (we call the neisei because some were born in the pond), and a shubunkin.  I have rebuilt the waterfall twice and I have extended the liner height (by standing in the pond in fishing pants on a 100 degree day scrubbing liner).  You couldn't pay me to do it, but I love those fish and the pond.

Thanks for having me.

Jando

Welcome Tara,  You will find there are some guys on the forum that are pretty active with ponds and Koi.  I know they will be a great help to you.  Or can probably lead you to an expert that can help you.  Your pond area sounds like a natural area to put in a Japanese Garden.  Enjoy your new home and I know from experience it is worth the effort to have the garden.

June

don

Welcome Tara.  When you are ready, we can help you post a picture so we can see your pond!

Yup, there aren't many things that can make me dig a big hole in limestone, but those koi...

jahra

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk