• Welcome to Japanese Gardening Forums 日本の園芸フォーラム. Please login or sign up.
August 06, 2020, 11:36:27 am

News:

WHERE ARE YOU?  You can use the "Custom Title" of your profile settings to list your gardening location.  This helps when discussing climate sensitive topics.

Hello from S. Alberta chinook belt

Started by Al, January 24, 2007, 04:20:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Hello, Just wanted to introduce myself, I am the maintenance technician at the Nikka-Yuko Garden in Lethbridge, Alberta. I have had the pleasure of training under the direction of Masa Mizuno of Portland Oregon. I began training in 1990 and after attaining qualification from Masa, have been maintaining this garden ever since. Although the pruning is the bulk of my duties, I also plant, edge, shoreline and pond repairs, stone setting rehabilitation, woodworking, etc, etc.  I have had the luxury of working with Masa for a period of two weeks each year for the past sixteen years, to me, an invaluable education, yet still learning. I am a Certified Arborist, and U of Guelph Qualified Plantsman.  Looking forward to listening to all members and exchanging thoughts.

Michael

January 24, 2007, 07:14:13 pm #1 Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:32:51 pm by Mike
Welcome to mJG Al;

As I have extended to Kristin as well, we all here will appreciate your input in the many areas of maintaining a Japanese Garden.

I believe I may have had the pleasure to work with Masa at the Seattle symposium a few years ago.  My recollection is that he glared at me.  At the time (and to this day) I consider it a compliment.  It meant he was was actually watching what I was doing.   :)

Michael

Healeyjet

Al, I have been to Nikka-Yuko on two occaisions.  It is a beautiful spot in an unexpected location.  My 10 year old son even had the opportunity to be a part of the tea ceremony last fall. Whenever we find ourselves in Lethbridge we like to come by.
Ward
Saskatoon, SK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk