• Welcome to Japanese Gardening Forums 日本の園芸フォーラム. Please login or sign up.
September 20, 2020, 12:14:58 am

News:

WHERE ARE YOU?  You can use the "Custom Title" of your profile settings to list your gardening location.  This helps when discussing climate sensitive topics.

Hi from West Texas!

Started by gerronsh, October 28, 2011, 06:25:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gerronsh

I am a semi-retired preservation architect living in San Angelo.  I am moving across town to live and work in the Old Chicken Farm Art Center.  Between my apartment and studio is a fenced in garden space.  I want to create a Japanese garden in that space.  I created a Japanese garden next to a naural dry creek bed about fifty years ago when we were living in Napa Valley before going off to college.  I really enjoyed designing and constructing the garden and want to do it again.  I think I will create a dry water feature (raked gravel) as we are in a long term drought. I will also include a small basin of moving water to create that special sound.

My immediate question concerns constructing a daimyo fence.  What kind of bamboo is used to construct this type of fence?  I do not own the property so cost is a consideration.  Has anyone used something other than bamboo to create the appearance of a daimyo fence?

Gerron S. Hite

don

Welcome to the Forum!  I suppose you have noticed a slight difference between Napa and San Angelo?  ; )  Sounds like you have an interesting project ahead of you. I would direct you to japanesegardening.org and to the reference section.  There you will find a decent section on fences, including daimyo. I will post another answer to your question under the bamboo section below.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk