Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hi from Nebraska  (Read 3395 times)

lonlaz

• Niwashi
Hi from Nebraska
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:19:41 AM »
Hi, my name is Jon and I live in Nebraska.  I just wanted to say hi to everyone out there.  I just bought a house that I plan to settle into forever, it's a 3 story Victorian, and if it isn't already going to be enough work to restore, I also want a garden with the Japanese garden spirit.

I have an unusual relationship with Japanese culture.  I am not a fanatic like many are, and I don't mean that in a negative way;  I am a fanatic about other things.  Even so, I find myself watching Kurosawa, anime, reading manga and playing shakuhachi, and apparently, researching Japanese gardens.  I find Japanese culture, and Asian culture in general, an excelent counterpoint to Western culture.  I find learning more about it teaches me more about myself.

JamesT

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
Re: Hi from Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »
Hi Jon,

Welcome.

There are many more photos and books available now than a couple decades ago, but I found that visiting Japan changed much about my understanding of Japanese gardens.  So if you get the chance...

James

lonlaz

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:52:53 PM »
Heh.. Did I mention that I've got a wife and 3 kids?  Someday I'll make it Japan, just not anytime soon.

I was able to see the gardens at Golden Gate Park in SF,  I'll be sure to go out of my way to see anything I can in the future.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:02:53 PM by lonlaz »

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »
Welcome, Jon!  If I may, a wife and three kids is a good reason to go to Japan.  You will all take away some culture and experience I think you will value forever.

JBaymore

• Wilton, NH USA (Zone 4-5)
  • Niwashi
    • My New Hampshire Institute of Art Faculty Page
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
...........it's a 3 story Victorian, and if it isn't already going to be enough work to restore, I also want a garden with the Japanese garden spirit.

Hi Jon.  My house is a 175 year old center chimney colonial....so we certainly share the "enough work to restore" aspect.  Start at one end and start fixing things... and then when you get to the end... start over  ;).

I concurr with James's thought about trying to get to Japan whenever possible.  I studied Japan and Japanese art and culture for years before I ever got to go there.  It was only after spending tiome there that I started to understand.

Have fun with the garden.

best,

........john

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:59:42 AM »
Welcome Jon, I hope you enjoy our forum.  It sounds like you will be very busy for the next few years with all your restorations. 

Good luck,

June