Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Greetings from the Buffalo/Niagara (US and Canada) area!  (Read 2186 times)

Gardenberry

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi
Greetings from the Buffalo/Niagara (US and Canada) area!
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
Hey All

Some of you may know me from the Chicago Botanic Garden, where I was the horticulturist of the Elizabeth Hubert Mallott Japanese Garden, also known as Sansho-en, for 6.5 years. I've been out of touch with the Japanese Gardening World for a little while, hanging out in Tofino, BC for a while and now I'm living in the Niagara Region, on the Canadian side of things.

I'm about to start a new project, working as a Project Manager on the rehabilitation of the Japanese Garden in Delaware Park in Buffalo, NY as part of the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy. It's a short-term project, starting now and ending at the beginning of July 2010.

I'm looking for any Japanese gardening enthusiasts and experts in the Buffalo/Niagara region, or even the greater Western New York area, to help me out with plant sourcing and possibly even volunteering to help out in the garden. I know there is already a strong cultural connection in Buffalo, a group that holds events at the Historic Society building and in the garden and I hope to get in touch with them shortly.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Kristin Berry Montoya

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
Re: Greetings from the Buffalo/Niagara (US and Canada) area!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »
Kristin.. good to hear from you and to know you are 'back in business'!!!
  Do we get baby pictures in the 'Gardeners Pets' section??      ;D
               edzard

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »
Kristin, I apologize for Edzard's rude comments!  Who are you again? :D

Just kidding!  Glad to hear from you.  Let us know what you are looking for.

Botann

• Niwashi
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »
Tofino B.C.!  The absolute end of the road. That's some Rhododendron garden they have there, isn't it?  Beautiful area.
Welcome.
MikeBotann@gmail.com
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/slideshow/575114759sVUhDY

agrigirl

• Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:56:38 AM »
Welcome!  I went to the Niagara area on the Canadian side a few years back.   I remember standing in the secret garden and looking over at the American side and thinking....."Wow, our country looks pretty bland compared to this side!"  LOL   I loved it there!  Would like to see pictures as the project unfolds!  Good luck! 

Agrigirl

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 06:52:16 AM »
Kristin, It is soooooooooo good to hear from you.  A mom no less, would love to have you email me photos of your little one. Time passes and you loose touch, it is just great to hear you are back in the JPgardening business.  Please share your progress, I know you will do a great job, but only till July is a very short time it would seem to restore a garden. 

Good luck,

June

Japanese