Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: lafcadio hearn  (Read 5075 times)

udoanome

lafcadio hearn
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »
I thought some might be interested in this....see link

phobbs

• Niwashi
Re: lafcadio hearn
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:53:44 PM »
Errr...

Either my spam blocker or anitvirus is not letting me access this. Perhaps an explanation or different link is in order?

To defeat the enemy in battle 1,000 times is not victory. Defeating the enemy without fighting is victory.  Sun Tsu

udoanome

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:25:38 AM »
When it says downloaded 6 times does that mean successfully, or is everyone having the same problem? If you go direct to the NY times you will find it but you have to subscribe (free). I particularly like the photo that heads the article which gives me great confidence because the ground cover is exactly the same as in my garden.

Blaine

• Administrator
  • Niwashi
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:01:17 AM »
No, the file size is zero, meaning it contains nothing.

Just paste the url into your post message. It will link up automatically. Like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafcadio_Hearn

Blaine

udoanome

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »

phobbs

• Niwashi
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 09:46:01 AM »
This link gets me through to the article, without having to subscribe. I'm guessing this is the person the photographer in "The Last Samurai" is based on?
To defeat the enemy in battle 1,000 times is not victory. Defeating the enemy without fighting is victory.  Sun Tsu

udoanome

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 05:58:06 PM »
I don't know, I didn't see the film. I read the book Kokoro. Imagine this son of an Irish father and a Greek mother arriving in Japan wandering around with dropped jaw. I thought I was Columbus, going to France in 1963 and I still remember the smell, but what did Japan smell like when Hearn was there or now , even.

udoanome

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 06:17:14 PM »
Any thoughts on Lafcadio Hearn?

Jack

• Niwashi
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 08:23:49 PM »
I'd never heard of him till now, Tony -- thanks for the link. Wikipedia also has more background info on his life and times.

Biographies like his always fascinate me. I was reminded of the Spanish (monk?) who went to China, adopted a Chinese name, and started producing landscape paintings which rivaled the best Chinese artists of the Qing dynasty  .. his name escapes me for the moment...

Another who springs to mind is Josiah Conder who is known for his contribution of western architecture to Japan .. though we JG devotees probably know him better for his volume on Landscape Gardening in Japan
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:33:02 PM by Jack »

Japanese