Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Percentages  (Read 6354 times)

udoanome

Percentages
« on: February 16, 2007, 07:06:40 PM »
When someone posts a question, a topic of interest that has 200 looks and only 10 responses what does this mean? Mike did a good job providing a forum for us to talk about our interest in Japanese gardens but what IS our interest that appears to be voyeurism if you look at the percentage? "I like to look" Chauncey gardener said but HE did not mean what they thought he meant. I am not speaking for mike, mine is a personal point of view "I like to communicate" but if you..YOU don't say anything there is no communication. I would like to suggest the character that Peter Sellers created as Chauncey to be the motive for this forum. I would like there to be 300 responses. What do you have?

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Percentages
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:00:52 PM »
Uodoanome, I think this is common on forums - difference is here we see how many read.  I think there's probably a bunch of folks shopping for a new source of Japanese gardening information and a place to talk about their experiences, needs, and ideas.  I believe it will take a little while for this island to be discovered for more participation and that will breed more participation.  But, Wadoino?  ;  )

phobbs

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:04:09 PM »
At this point,

I am such a newbie that I would rather remain silent and be thought a fool, than to post and remove all doubt.
To defeat the enemy in battle 1,000 times is not victory. Defeating the enemy without fighting is victory.  Sun Tsu

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »
The only foolish question is one that has not been asked.

The more mistakes you make, the more you will learn.
I only hire people that make and admit to mistakes.. that means they are interested enough to improve and can tell the difference between A and D.

-Where's George.. didn't he have a byword on the bottom of his posts to a similar effect of learning or living??

some posts are hard to get through and need a lot of thought...
         edzard

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 11:27:16 PM »
That's "The difference between A and B", Edzard.  Get it right.

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 11:28:17 PM »

I am such a newbie that I would rather remain silent and be thought a fool, than to post and remove all doubt.

Heck, earlier in the week I got a wild hair and was about to rip a bunch of irises out of the ground because I got tired of where they were at.  Cooler (and smarter) heads here convinced me otherwise.

This "fool" has killed three pines in three successive years.  Pine died, put in new pine, winter, pine died, repeat.  Same spot every time cuz I thought a pine would look good there.  Guess what?  Pines don't like wet feet.   There will not be a fourth.  I learned something along the way.  I have two huge Tanyosho pines that are most gonna stay in their 25 gallon pots until I figure out how to keep their feet dry.

We all started not knowing anything, then we picked stuff up, made mistakes along the way, it's all good.

Can't stumble if you aren't moving...........

Michael
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 12:13:00 AM by Mike »

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 12:27:39 AM »
When someone posts a question, a topic of interest that has 200 looks and only 10 responses what does this mean?

If a "guest" views a topic, it hits the counter but as a guest, they can't respond.

Just something to think about.  Not everyone listening can speak.

Michael

Blaine

• Administrator
  • Niwashi
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 06:13:16 AM »
When someone posts a question, a topic of interest that has 200 looks and only 10 responses what does this mean?

If a "guest" views a topic, it hits the counter but as a guest, they can't respond.

Just something to think about.  Not everyone listening can speak.

Michael

I would add here that many of the "views" are by search engines indexing the site. This goes on night and day, much of the time.

Other viewers are potential spammers looking for someplace to drop their load.

Then there are folks like me who are not Japanese gardeners, but who find it interesting lurking and picking up some insight via osmosis. It is rare that I would have anything relevant to add to any of your conversations. But when I do have something to bring to the table, as in this post, for example, I am not shy. :)

Blaine
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 06:14:51 AM by Blaine »

george in the uk

• East Yorkshire UK
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Anyone who never made a mistake never made anythin
    • George's Japanese Garden
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 07:40:50 AM »
Hi Edzard,
I am here and visit every day, and as you say I have on the bottom of my posts my philosophy of "anyone who never made a mistake never made anything" but I don't reply to a lot of the posts but I do read them,but you will never get me involved in the deep discussions on Japanese gardens, religous, spiritual, and the history because I don't know much, only enough to get me by in my own little way,as I say I read  most of the posts and the knowledge that you professionals have about Japanese gardens amazes me, but then it is your profession.but I do know what I like and I like Japanese gardens and I am almost obsessed by mine along with my koi and bonsai, lets say the keep an old man very happy and keep me out of mischief, so if I don't reply all the time REMEMBER I am reading and watching you.
George.

udoanome

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »
Tell me about stumbling. At the bottom of this page that shows statistics there are 7 'guests' and me. Welcome guests.

Lee

• Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
    • Lee Schneller Fine Gardens, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 07:10:33 AM »
Hi Tony ---

Remember that exercising reserve is a quality to be cultivated in a Japanese gardener.   :) 

I have noticed in this forum and at the other ones you seemed frequently to complain that others were not participating enough.  There's some conventional wisdom I've learned (and continue to learn) about this --- that its futile to try to change others (perhaps especially on an Internet forum.....).  I'm a lot happier when I try to accept people as they are and focus on changing myself (my attitudes and behavior) when I'm dissatisfied.  Trying to put the focus on what I can share rather than what I can get is almost always helpful.

We each have our work, lives, commitments --- how and how much to participate is a very personal choice.

Lee

P.S.  Look how many responses you got to this post!  :)

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 12:58:31 AM »
Michael, do guests undersand that they can pose questions spontaneously that don't fit into one of the established subjects?  Tony made me think about how often people on the dead forum used to say, "pardon my beginnerness, but how do I do this or how do I find that, without fear.

Most important to me in a forum was a friendly place with no expectations or minimum knowledge that made me feel ok in asking for the most basic help.  Not that I was looking for that, but that was the level of help I could offer. Meanwhile, everyone could listen and learn from those discussing other ldegrees of JG and associated culture.

George, I had a boss that would  say, " I suppose you had to be doing something in order to mess up!" 

SO he who does nothing, doesn't do it wrong, right?

george in the uk

• East Yorkshire UK
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Anyone who never made a mistake never made anythin
    • George's Japanese Garden
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 08:03:19 AM »
Hi Don,
BUT, he who doe's nothing is NEVER going to learn to do it right.
George.

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 12:54:03 AM »
Michael, do guests undersand that they can pose questions spontaneously that don't fit into one of the established subjects? 

I certainly hope so.  I thought I made it pretty clear with the description under the category of "General Discussion" of "don't know where to post, post it here....."

I don't know what other controls I can put into place/remove to stimulate conversation.  So far, the conversations have been respectful, responses have been cordial.  Yes, I am on record with the 'five finger exploding palm technique' but the depth of the questions so far don't even scratch that surface.  We haven't had the question "what is the exact size and shape of the suikinkutsu to produce a 46.7 kHz tone".  We haven't had the question of  "design my entire garden and provide me with the autocad drawings" followed by "you all are elitist snobs" when it did not happen.

Pipe up, privately by PM (the funny looking icon next to the envelope) if you prefer, if anyone feel uncomfortable with the vibe here.  Let's talk.

Michael

phobbs

• Niwashi
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 10:46:11 PM »
Speaking as someone that is new to Japanese Gardening, perhaps I can provide some thoughts...

I lurk on 3-4 forums on a relatively regular basis, and occasionally scan a half dozen more.  Once in a while, I have an over whelming urge to post, or a question that can't wait. There are some forums that are NOT hospitable to newbies in that particular field.  I have found this forum to be a "warm and friendly" place, where I can ask questions, and not be castigated for being a rookie.

That being said, there are times where I have received replies to a thread I have started that are intimidating. Not because of anything the poster said or insinuated, but because I can tell that I am only understanding a percentage (sometimes a very small percentage) of what the poster is trying to explain. I don
To defeat the enemy in battle 1,000 times is not victory. Defeating the enemy without fighting is victory.  Sun Tsu

Japanese