Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Water loss in pond!  (Read 6801 times)

gibson1971

• Niwashi
Water loss in pond!
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
Hi,

Can someone tell me if it is normal for a pond to lose about 4 inches a day (especially as it's hot at the moment).  Lately the pond seems to be losing way too much water, but my wife says that it's normal and is just the weather.  Our pond is about 22 feet long, 6 feet wide, and 3 feet deep.  Let us know what you think.  Am I going mad?

Matt
Gibson1971

gunter

• Niwashi Hyaku
Re: Water loss in pond!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:22:20 PM »
Hi Matt,
4 inches a day is not normal! Either you have a whole, or there is a capillary connection to the surrounding soil.

Günter

gibson1971

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:57:24 PM »
Hi Matt,
4 inches a day is not normal! Either you have a whole, or there is a capillary connection to the surrounding soil.

Günter

Hi Günter,

Thank's for getting back to me.  I must have a leak.  Luckily it is near the top so I am not losing more than 4 inches of water each time.  The liner is only 3 years old (with underlay) and has a guarantee of 25.  Typical!

Matt
Gibson1971

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 07:35:50 PM »
Gunter is saying you need to check the pond edge for roots, leaves, or soil mass that may be wicking water from your pond.  If you have falls between pools, those are always a good place to look.  If you have bio-filters, make sure they are not stopped up and overflowing.

22' x 6' x 3' in my area will loose about 2" on a sunny summer day with waterfalls and good sun exposure.

Do you have night creatures like raccoons?

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
Matt,
what happens on day 2? another 4 inches loss = 8 inches?
what about 3 days? now 12"?
if left to run on, where would it stop? And when are you filling it?

gibson1971

• Niwashi
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:46:06 AM »
Matt,
what happens on day 2? another 4 inches loss = 8 inches?
what about 3 days? now 12"?
if left to run on, where would it stop? And when are you filling it?

Hi all,

The water only ever drops about 4 inches or so and luckily it does not drop any further.  I am assuming the liner has a hole in it near the top.  Also I do not have any roots that are drawing in the water from the pond edge.  I am still developing the pond and garden so there is no pump or filter yet, due to costs. 

I forgot to tell you all that I live in England so unfortunately no racoons!!  That would be a weird sight!  Just frogs, tadpoles and the occasional hedgehog (and our prehistoric cats!).

Matt
Gibson1971

Healeyjet

• Saskatoon, SK Midwest Canada
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »
Matt, be happy you don't have raccoons. Unless I am wrong, I don't think they are very welcomed in North America! Especially by pond hobbyists.

george in the uk

• East Yorkshire UK
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Anyone who never made a mistake never made anythin
    • George's Japanese Garden
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
Hi Matt,
There is no way that you ae losing that much water by evaporation you have got to have a leak somewhere ,check round where the level of water loss stops because if it keeps stopping at the same level it points to a leak at that level.
My koi pond is twenty foot by twelve foot and the water evaporation is only small, you can visit my pond if you wish on my website.
George.