Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Dwarf Mondo Grass:  (Read 31051 times)

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
Re: Dwarf Mondo Grass:
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
Steve it was Jim Lewis of Atlanta Ga. the mondo man!  I watched the show again and he planted it in a shady area of his lawn, but he did say it got plenty of water and it did look great.  He claimed it liked to be walked on and never regretted doing it.
June 

Steve

• North Texas
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »
Thanks June,

I'd love to see his mondo.
Steve

Steve

• North Texas
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »
June,

Here is a link to an article about him. http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/mondo-man/index.html

Steve

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 09:25:42 PM »
Mondo grass goes semidormant in the summer in Texas, so absolutely no fertilizer in the hot months.  This means slow release too as it may still be working when the heat hits.  It can also not dry out too much summer and winter.

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 08:00:21 AM »
I saw that, too bad it didn't have a photo of his dwarf mondo lawn.

June

mikea

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »
Another consideration you might look at is Dwarf Korean Grass (zoysia tenafolia) - it never needs mowing; is a couple of inches in height (does grow onto itself sometimes and makes larger clumps - just cut them out and transplant them); stays green throughout the year.  We use this here in the Phoenix, AZ area where we would like to have moss - but since moss isn't too practical here - we adjust.  The material is available here at some nurseries and last known, was around $28 per flat.  Expensive - yes - but I think that topic has already been addressed and for no mowing and the texture and undulation of the grass - it is really good.  Can be planted 8"-10" OC or as you like - at this - it will fill in within a year - so you can adjust that accordingly.  This grass fits really well in Japanese-Style landscapes.  Mike

Steve

• North Texas
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 08:43:51 AM »
Mike, thanks for the idea. I don't know of a dwarf Korean grass? Where do you buy it at? It sounds interesting, but I have never seen it used or for sale?
Steve

Yama

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 01:11:02 AM »
Hi June and Steve
Dwaf mondo grass often come with 4" pot, some time #1(1gal) pot. some pot called "cheater" because the pot is not full 1 gal pot :-\.
some grower sell mondo grass in "liner" or bare root dwarf mondo grass which is take time to fill space but less cost. dwarf mondo in pot can be divided to few.   New planting need to feed lightly and often. in the third year , ground is coverd fully.  check nematoda population time to time and check soil moist often untill dwarf mondo grass are established.
mike

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 09:09:27 PM »
Steve, it is Zoysia grass.  I posted a photo of Zoysia "Emerald" elsewhere, the one I use and the one in Kumamoto En.  It can be cut to 1/4" and can look a lot like moss,or let go to mounds & knots, then sheared and topdressed in late February to take off the excess growth after winter kill.

Vince

• Niwashi
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »
Here in Sydney, in the Sutherland Shire, they got a small comemorative japanese garden. It was a gift from the Japanese Government! It is surrounded by walls, it has a wood bridge over gravel, rock and where it is suposed to have moss it has 'dwarf mondo grass' forming a dark green carpet. Rocks and steping stones! It looks great. I have planted some "dwarf mondo grass" near the steping stones leading to the water basin and after a year, it begun to form this "carpet" feeling. I'm also using a native ground cover which brings up another green tone to the design, 'dichondra repens'.
In the begining I only wanted traditional japanese plants, but after reading about a japanese gentlemen who design japanese gardens in Adelaide SA, I opened my mind to experiment with other plants that can put up with the australian summer.
Go for the mondo grass! Where people use the place for walking, place some steping stones and some rocks. Add liriope around some places...
Cheers, Vince. PS. don't be symetrical!

Japanese