Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: JG quotes, poems, parables  (Read 3640 times)

christian m.

• Niwashi
JG quotes, poems, parables
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:57:47 PM »
Hello old friends and new.  The arousal of spring (at least in my mind) draws me back to my passion of Japanese gardening.  I hope that everyone is well, and I will be posting as i have the time.  I wanted to share this old list of poems n such that i compiled a while back.  I hope that you enjoy.

-christian m

"Mountains, water, and rocks are like the three legs of a tripod - even if one is missing, there can be no garden"

-Zoen
'Illustrations for Designing Mountain, Water, and Hillside Field Landscapes'

In order to comprehend the beauty of a Japanese garden, it is necessary to
understand - or at least to learn to understand - the beauty of stone.
- Lafcadio Hearn

Design the pond with respect to its position in the land, follow its request, when you encounter a potential site , consider its atmosphere , think of the mountains and water of living nature and reflect constantly on such settings. ( From the Sakuteiki}

Rough standing stones
A stream meandering
Delight without end.
- Muso Soseki

The sounds of the streams splash out the Buddha’s sermon,
Don’t say that the deepest meaning comes only from one’s mouth,
Day and night, 80,000 poems arise one after the other,
And in fact, not a single word has ever been spoken.

-Muso Soseki

In my hands, I hold a bowl of tea
I see all of nature represented in its green color
Closing my eyes, I find green mountains and pure water within my own heart
Silently drinking, I feel these become a part of me.
-Sen no Rikyu

A high mountain
soars without
a grain of dust
A waterfall
plunges without
a drop of water
Once or twice
on an evening of moonlight
in the wind
this man here
has been happy
playing the game that suited him
Muso Soseki (1275-1351)

Recall the vistas of various famous places, select what attracts you and add your own interpretation. It is best to use this as a theme to design the whole of the garden while adding just the right amount of changes.
Sakuteiki
trans. by Marc Peter Keane

Make sure that all the stones, right down to the front of the arrangement, are placed with their best sides showing. If a stone has an ugly-looking top you should place it so as to give prominence to its side. Even if this means it has to lean at a considerable angle, no one will notice.
There should always be more horizontal than vertical stones.
If there are 'running away' stones there must be 'chasing' stones.
If there are 'leaning' stones, there must be 'supporting' stones . . .
(From Infinite Spaces: The Art and Wisdom of the Japanese Garden,
Joe Earle, editor. Galileo Multimedia, Ltd., 2000)

Sen-no-Rikyu built a garden enclosed by a tall hedge that blocked the view of the sea. The client for whom the garden was built was unhappy - until he bent to wash his hands in the water basin. The sea then became visible in a gap between the hedges and the client smiled.
As the tea master had hoped, the client realized the intent behind the design. As his mind made the connection between the water in the basin and the great ocean and thus between himself and infinite universe.

One summer in the late sixteenth century, the story goes, word reached the ruler Toyotomi Hideyoshi that an especially beautiful crop of morning glories was growing in the garden of Sen no Rikyu, the saintly exemplar of simplicity and humility, adept in the art of Chinese tea. Hideyoshi announced he wished to inspect the flowers, and Sen no Rikyu responded with an invitation to tea in the early morning when the blue dawn flowers would be bright and fresh. Hideyoshi came at daybreak but saw no blooms in the garden, only plucked vines. Furious, he entered the tea hut and found the master kneeling beside a single flower in a spare arrangement -- one perfect, radiantly blue morning glory.

[quotation from Samuel Young, Travel Holiday, July / August 1994.]

Richard

• Niwashi Hyaku
  • Ikkyu - having no destination I am never lost.
Re: JG quotes, poems, parables
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
Good reminders .

Christain M ,

Thank you  very much for the list. Since I dont read much this type of list you made is perfect for me. I learn from reading a caption below a photo then move on without reading the book : ) Later on during a walk in the woods that caption less than a paragraph is easily called up to mind since I have only that one small thing to reflect on.To recall an entire book worth of information during a walk in the woods is not of my habit. You made a good list . Easy to recall later on when I take another walk .

Thanx.

Richard Morris F.