Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: International Conference on Japanese Gardens Outside of Japan March 26-9, 2009  (Read 11456 times)

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
All,
some of you may have seen this already..
This is all the information that is out so far, conference in Long Beach, Cal in March 2009. If anyone has more information please add to this, and hopefully something will show up. I do hear that a lot of work has gone into this. (pretty quietly though,... hmmm, and only room for 140 people, 250 is usual and that sells out quickly.)
   edzard

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Thanks, Edzard.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
All,..
Many of you that subscribe to the Sukiya Living (JoJG) would have read the notice of the upcoming International Conference on March 26 through March 29, 2009, a mere 3 ½ months from now, and as information has been scant while speakers have been confirmed, it would seem a good idea to have this information available here.

As this is not on any of the official websites or notice boards, such as the host facility CSULB as of yet, this following information is apt to change and is unofficial – meaning this is only informational so that people can pre-arrange to attend prior to Christmas budgets being blown entirely.
(if anyone wishes to donate a Gift Certificate for me to attend, I’ll gladly give you my address)

Much, much thought has been put into this Conference as it is in a moderated Panel form, concurrent side by side rooms for ‘dual attendance’ and also an open question and answer period for greater information to be gleaned from presenters for the attendees.

Rumour has it that the original registration fee was to exceed 400.00 USD, and the real-time fee is 275.00 USD* and to contact Jeanette Schelin jschelin@csulb.edu
-and they scored a 4 star hotel at 129.00/night for the conference rate.

Essentially the expected attendance would be 70% professional and 30% enthusiast (my terms - poor as they are) and the overall questions address the parameters the Public Gardens face, which, at the bottom line determine’s “what can the Public Garden in your area do for you!!”

This would also suggest that if you wished classes/education at your local Public Garden, then one should encourage the Public Garden to send a representative so that they understand the options available to them.
And to me, suggests that the people wishing classes, education, information also attend to understand the possibilities that can be offered through a Public Garden venue. The solution would be “how can you help yourself?”
•   and if you are on really good terms with your Public Garden representative, perhaps you could attend as the ‘subsequent organization Member’ for 200.00.

One of the largest problems the Public Gardens have is that they can not find the enthusiast or professional unless they are somehow registered, perhaps have donated and left their contact info.
For the enthusiast, this means no education. For the Professional this means no work, no PR, no improvement of technique.

This conference is the first to try to overcome some of the obstacles.

Looking at the lineup, the discussions are about the various issues that Public Gardens face, which gives answers to how to establish the home garden, whether built by the professional or the DIY. Whether issues such as ‘Activities in the Garden’, or Funding, Maintenance or Koi are all the same issues… 

For me, I am prepping a list of expectations for my Public Garden. Like first of all, getting one built.
Now.. about that Gift Certificate…. My address is:
         Box 1, RR 1 ……

International Conference on Japanese Gardens Outside Japan
March 26 – March 28, Tours March 29th

Day 1 (Thursday MARCH 26) Guided Tour Of Public & Private Gardens ($40 fee)
James Irvine Garden at the JACC, Los Angeles
Huntington Library, Museum and Gardens, San Marino
Storrier-Stearns Garden
7:30  Opening Reception
8:00  Plenary Lecture (CSULB campus, place tba)
          Ron Herman: “The Search for an Unknown Aesthetic: The Japanese Garden in America”

DAY 2 (Friday March 27)
ALONG THE GARDEN PATH: FROM ROMANTIC VISIONS TO CONTEMPORARY MISSIONS   
Prologue—Dr. Kendall Brown, CSULB.

Keynote Addresses:
           Marc Treib (U.C. Berkeley) “Parallels and Contexts”         
           Dr. Makoto Suzuki (Tokyo Univ. of Agriculture) “Evolution of Japanese Gardens”

Guided Tours of Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden

Panel 1—Designing Japanese Gardens for North America.
   Shin Abe (Zen Associates) “Adoption of Japanese Garden Concepts in North American Gardening”
           Hoichi Kurisu  (Kurisu International) “Healing Elements in the Japanese Garden Method”
Panel 2— Restoring or Renovating Gardens
           Kelly McLeod (KSM Architecture) “Preservation from the Architectural Perspective”
   Fred Fischer (Hillwood Museum, DC) “Marjorie Post’s Japanese-style Garden: Preserving a Legacy”
           Dr Takeo Uesugi (Professor emeritus, Cal Poly Pomona) “Re-visioning the James Irvine Garden, Japanese American Cultural and Community Center”

DAY 3 (Saturday March 28) in Long Beach:
ISSUES IN GARDEN MANAGEMENT
Panel 3a—Balancing Public Events and Private Appreciation
         Luann Kanzawa (San Diego Friendship Garden) Activities in the Living Garden
         David Brown (Descanso Gardens) Preserving & Using Historic Gardens

Panel 3b—Are You Managing Your Collection Professionally?
        Corey Welles (Lotusland, Montecito) “Lotusland’s Sustainable Program”
        Tim Gruner (Anderson Garden, Rockford) “Challenges in Maintaining a Japanese
Garden in a Climate of Extremes”

Panel 4a—Strategies for Fundraising and Management
        Dr. Jim Fulsom, (Huntington Garden) “Getting Real – Strategies for Funding the Dream”
        Prudence Haines (Shofuso, Philadelphia) Fun Raising and Fundraising
        Stephen Bloom (Portland Japanese Garden) “Past, Present, Future: Essential Building Blocks for a Successful American Public Japanese Garden”

Panel 4b— Issues in Specialty Maintenance
        Dennis Makishima (Merritt College Aesthetic Pruning) “Aesthetic Pruning”
        Douglas Roth (Journal of Sukiya Living) Developing a Tradition of Maintenance
        Vergil Hettick (EBM Garden) “Water Quality and Big Koi in the Japanese Style Garden”

Panel 5a—Reaching Diverse Communities: Education in Gardens
        Chris Aihara, (James Irvine Garden, LA) Building on Community
        Alison Redfoot (CSULB) Using the Garden to Teach About Japan
        Diana Larowe (Japanese Garden, Phoenix)

Panel 5b — Maintenance, Growth and Design
        Ron Herman (San Leandro) “Permanence, Change, Evolution – The Challenge of    Garden Maintenance”
        John Powell (Ft. Worth) Learning from Adachi
        Dr. David Slawson (Cleveland) “The Art of Evoking the Natural World”

Epilogue – Japanese Gardens West & East: Re-imagining Japanese Gardens
        Dr. Miyuki Katahira-Manabe (St. Andrews University, Osaka)

Open Forum — Planning Future Conferences & Organizations

Closing Comments (Jeanette Schelin & Kendall Brown)

Banquet at hotel tba
         Presentation of Achievement Award to Dr. Takeo Uesugi

Day 4 (Sunday March 29): Guided Tours Of Public & Private Gardens

Tour B -NOTE: SAME as Day 1
James Irvine Garden at the JACC, Los Angeles
Huntington Library, Museum and Gardens, San Marino: no host lunch, tours of Japanese and Chinese gardens,
Storrier-Stearns Garden, Pasadena (c. 1935-40)

Tour C -$50.00USD
Isamu Noguchi’s California Scenario, Coast Mesa
San Diego Friendship Garden

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
The conference packet is here:  http://www.japanesegardening.org/events/conference.pdf

Registration form is here:  http://www.japanesegardening.org/events/registration.pdf

You can fill out the registration form online then print out for fax or mail.

Healeyjet

• Saskatoon, SK Midwest Canada
  • Niwashi Hyaku
I will be in Long Beach, CA on Feb 3rd. Will miss it by a month.  Is there any good Japanese Gardens I would have access to that are open to the public in the Los Angeles area?
Ward

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
There are oooh so many reasons to visit Huntington Botanical Garden and Library.  In fact, the Director Jim Folsom is on the agenda.

Healeyjet

• Saskatoon, SK Midwest Canada
  • Niwashi Hyaku
Don, is the Huntington Garden at the Museum?  I was going to go there for a Greene & Greene furniture exhibit but it may be over by then.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
Yes.  Call ahead as I am not sure what arrangements need to be made.  (psst - take pictures).

Cinder

• Niwashi
The Huntington Library is a must see - they have a brand-new Chinese garden as well!  Here is the website with hours:
www.huntington.org

Cinder

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
For anyone interested the Conference speakers bio's
and the registration form...

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
So.......

Roll Call.

Who is going to this?

Who is on the fence?

Personally, I am on the fence.  I went to the last one held in Seattle.  I learned TONS of stuff that I refer to often as well as meeting a bunch of really neat people.

Pros-Getting the time off is not that hard.  Flights are fairly cheap this time of year.  I can use Hilton points for the room.  The price of admission is very reasonable.  I get a chance to see the gardens and climate of my childhood.

Cons-I can buy a lot of plants for what this is going to cost me.  Plus I am shy and have problems meeting new people.  :-)

If there are any So-Cals on the board, I highly recommend that you go to this.  Well worth the bucks if you don't have to factor in transportation and lodging.

What say you?

Michael

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
Hey Mike, 

I would love to go. It would be great to see you again and get my endorphins going with your wit and humor.   But I can't decide if I want to spend that much money.  The last one was great and I really want to go,  just can not make up my mind.  The price of the conference is no problem but air and hotel would set me back a bundle.  If I don't I hope you do and fill us in on all the neat stuff you learn.  Just visiting the gardens would be worth the trip.

I really should go just to help the economy and try and get us out of this depression. 

Still undecided and teetering on the fence,

Cheers  June

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
Ditto - love to go but can't.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
This link would be of interest to more than just people that would attend the conference as it is a PDF from the Foundation of Landscape Studies, and the Fall '08 issue has articles by Marc Keane and Kendall H. Brown who is organizing the Conference. Keane speaks on Listening to Stones and Brown outlines the Japanese Gardens at American World's Fairs, 1876 - 1940. (very good read, even better the second time)

the link:  http://www.foundationforlandscapestudies.org/index.php?p=sitelines

click on the download for the 2008 Fall Issue = 536k and enjoy the read...
also:
Dietz: Plum Blossoms: The Third Friend of Winter
Nonaka: The Art of Setting Stones
Barlow Rogers: Tea and Sympathy