Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Japanese gardening books  (Read 5062 times)

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Japanese gardening books
« on: September 17, 2008, 06:40:56 PM »
We have opened a new section containing forum member recommendations on Japanese gardening books, including their reviews and comments.  If you would like to submit, please let me know!

http://www.japanesegardening.org/pubs.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:27:44 AM by don »

cyberous

• Niwashi
Re: Japanese gardening books
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 12:23:45 AM »
I'm not a book critic but do have two books I found in a large Kyoto book store Sept 2007

1. The Hidden Gardens of Kyoto
2. Courtyard Gardens of Kyoto's Merchant Houses

Both by
   Katsuhiko Mizuno
       Kodansha International

Don

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:07:25 PM »
Both are excellent! Would you care to write a short review?

cyberous

• Niwashi
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:36:04 AM »
I'll try  ;D

I picked up “Courty Yard Gardens of Kyoto’s Merchant Houses” & “The Hidden Gardens of Kyoto “ in a large book store in Kyoto in September 2007.  I have read and own several books on Japanese Gardening and can honestly say there are not too many books bring anything new to the Japanese Gardening table.  Its usually pretty much the same rocks, same trees, same gardens recycled and regurgitated. 

These books are different.  Although a few of the famous gardens can be found in Hidden Gardens most of the 100+ illustrations (per book) are of private gardens or obscure business's.  I am no scholar of Japanese Gardening but my instincts tell me that the gardens of Kyoto are quite unique even to Japanese Gardeners.  To me it seems to be a sense of simplicity even sparseness to Kyoto Gardens.  Both books focus on exhibiting uncommon gardens with a little bit (very little, but I'm not complaining) reserved for history, design, ect.  Neither of the books are a “How to.”   The books I own are hard back, not sure if they are provided in paper back and were around $60 USD ea  but well worth it.

Don

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »
Thanks, Don.

matt44

• Niwashi
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »
Ohh I am a complete amateur when it comes to "normal" gardening, let alone the wonderful Japanese style gardening but I will write a shirt review of the only book I own, despite it probably being a very common book.

Ortho's All About Creating Japanese Gardens.

For me, as a complete newcomer to Japanese Gardens I wanted something containing some nice pictures to gain ideas from and a breakdown of all the main areas. This book delivers it all in a very simplified fashion which I found very helpful.

It gives an explaination of the varying kinds of gardens, how to analyse your own garden and the best ways to give it an authentic Japanese Style and even gives a checklist of things you can look to include.

A brief guide to the plants and trees is also included aswell as a section about ponds and koi fish.

Obvioulsy the experienced ones here wouldnt get any help from this book, but if you are a newcomer and want something to look at and get a basic understanding of the art then this is a great platform to start from.
Take a look at my garden blog and feel free to comment:

www.mattsgardenveg.blogspot.com

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:03:28 PM »
Matt, it is on my bookshelf.  It does have beautiful pictures, and depending on what edition you have, a nice garden in the back pages.

matt44

• Niwashi
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 04:20:30 AM »
Matt, it is on my bookshelf.  It does have beautiful pictures, and depending on what edition you have, a nice garden in the back pages.

I have a 2003 edition, A4 sized paperback.

What nice garden is it?
Take a look at my garden blog and feel free to comment:

www.mattsgardenveg.blogspot.com

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 04:18:17 PM »
Oops, I was thinking of Ortho's "Creating Japanese Gardens" 1989.  The garden is on page 100.

Al

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:45:20 AM »
I recently picked up The Art of the Japanese Garden,  by David and Michiko Young.

The book starts with an overview of the very early history of the political and social development
of Japan from the Jomon period through to the Meiji.  (not to worry, only a couple of pages).
Then into the development of the early gardens.

Elements and Principles come next. Stones, structures, ornaments, water features, layout etc.

The book then goes into a section with 24 traditional gardens, 3 Tokyo stroll gardens, 2 Meiji, 2 Showa, all with a short history and overview
of each garden.  The book ends with 3 Japanese Gardens outside of Japan and a small read on modern residential gardens.

The book is well illustrated and loaded with excellent quality photographs.  One particular feature I liked were the three quarter perspective drawings of each of the gardens that are outlined in the book.

Definitely recommended!
Al

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
Thanks, Al.  Sounds like I will be adding it to my wish list.  I will post your comments on the books link!  http://japanesegardening.org/pubs.html

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 05:20:50 PM »
Thanks Al, I am going to order this one and Jake's book on pruning.  I went to one of the web sites that off these books and they really gave you a nice look at what is inside.

Thanks again for your input.

June

Japanese