Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Bronze gong for the garden ?  (Read 4338 times)

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
Bronze gong for the garden ?
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »
On an impulse I purchased a big bronze gong for display it in the garden.  Where is the best to place it, see picture, this part of the garden would be good, or front of rhododendrons and other plants. I intend to gong it too, not often. On the photo is the half of the flat part of the garden, from there slope, 2 curving stone stairs, maybe next to them?  I would like to hang it from a curved branch or make a stand from cedar branches.

Any idea? Thanks if you have.

Andrea

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
Re: Bronze gong for the garden ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »
Hi Andrea,  Just how big is big?????   That would probably make a difference where to place it and I am not aware of the purpose of one in a Japanese Garden,  So if anyone could enlighten us that may make your placement easier.

Your garden is looking very serene!  Your lantern has great age to it with all that moss and your maples are really beautiful.

Cheers  June

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 01:04:02 PM »
Hi June!

2 ft. diameter . In Zen garden they use gong to call for meditation. I might get tempted to gong it once on a while, very nice sound. I like metal, spec. bronze, have many objects from all over the world.

Here is the other half of the flat part, the photo was taken from the place  where we sit, have the awning,  this part of the garden is visible. The rhodos grew too big, like a green wall, above them 3 more level with more rhodos, azaleas, J.maples.
On the photo it isn't clear, but as we go on the path at the end is the dry rock waterfall, a bridge what leads to the stone stairs. All my lanterns are the labor of love, my work. At least they look old.

We let the garden grow into this jungle to block out neighbors, give us shade too when we need it. It is very lush, green all year long, but I can have some Japanese influence in small pockets of the garden. It is fine  with me. The front yard is more open, where we have that rocks.

Andrea

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »
BTW, I know that there is no purpose of  a gong in a J. garden, but I thought that I can get away with it. Looks like not.

Andrea

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »
Andrea, put it up on the porch near where you sit.

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 06:23:28 PM »
Good idea Don, thanks!

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
That's a good sized GONG Andrea!  I can hear it now as it's low mellow sound reverberates through the evening air.  And I think the gong is too large for the area in your photo, so Don has a great idea to put it on the Patio.

Cheers  June