Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Vermont via Long Island  (Read 2258 times)

GregC

• Niwashi
Hello from Vermont via Long Island
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »
I have just retired from a job that allowed me to travel a half-dozen times to Japan over the past few years.  As a result, my wife and I have picked up the Japanese architecture and gardening bug.  We hope (!!!) to sell our house on Long Island this year and retire to Southern Vermont. 
We are about to build a house on a few acres of land overlooking a pond and wetland.  With a steady amount of water flowing down over the property to the pond for all but the driest months, we are planning to create a stream bed to divert the water while providing the platform for a garden with Japanese sensibilities.  The garden area will likely cover a trapezoidal area approximately 60' x 25' x 65' x 40', within the "courtyard" of a U-shaped house. 
So we are looking for someone who can help us design the garden, especially someone who has experience with stream creation and maintenance.  Thus far, there appear to be only a couple of people in Vermont who may be qualified.   Anybody in New Hampshire, New York, or Massachusetts who would travel to Vermont? 
Thanks.
GregC.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
Re: Hello from Vermont via Long Island
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 11:03:25 AM »
Mike Yamakami is in Massachusetts and may be able to help you with that...
welcome, btw, and congratulations on the imminent retirement.
      edzard

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »
Welcome, Greg! I second what Edzard said about Mike.  He has just moved and is getting set up in the new environment, but I'll bet he is ready for a job!

GregC

• Niwashi
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »
Thanks, guys.  Will surely contact him.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »