Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Tara from Upland (California)  (Read 2717 times)

taralynna

• Niwashi
Tara from Upland (California)
« on: May 08, 2008, 12:19:23 AM »
Hello all.

As some of you know, I bought a house 1 year ago in April.  The house is a fixer upper and it included what looked like a hole in the ground 22' long x 8' wide (3,000 gall) with water so green and thick that I was shocked to find fish in it.  Thank goodness they had bubblers in the pond, there were 12 koi.  I immediatly hired a pond company to clean out the pond and make any repairs necessary.  Unfortunately, I got scammed pretty badly.  Now I'm a DIY'er. 

Once I fell in love with the pond and the koi I began to entertain the idea of a Japanese garden.  That is why I'm here in a nutshell. 

In case your curious the koi, all but 1 have survived.  I have 2 that are near 20" long, 2 that are about 18" long, some carp looking ones (we call the neisei because some were born in the pond), and a shubunkin.  I have rebuilt the waterfall twice and I have extended the liner height (by standing in the pond in fishing pants on a 100 degree day scrubbing liner).  You couldn't pay me to do it, but I love those fish and the pond.

Thanks for having me.

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
Re: Tara from Upland (California)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:25:14 AM »
Welcome Tara,  You will find there are some guys on the forum that are pretty active with ponds and Koi.  I know they will be a great help to you.  Or can probably lead you to an expert that can help you.  Your pond area sounds like a natural area to put in a Japanese Garden.  Enjoy your new home and I know from experience it is worth the effort to have the garden.

June

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:12:30 AM »
Welcome Tara.  When you are ready, we can help you post a picture so we can see your pond!

Yup, there aren't many things that can make me dig a big hole in limestone, but those koi...

jahra

• Niwashi
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 03:43:47 PM »

Welcome to the forum Tara!

Japanese