Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Kansas City  (Read 5881 times)

rhysande

• Kansas City metro
  • Niwashi
Hello from Kansas City
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Andee and I live in Overland Park, Kansas, in the Kansas City metropolitan area.

I became interested in Japanese gardens a few years ago when my husband frequently traveled to Japan for business and brought back pictures of the parks and gardens he visited while he was there. I was finally able to visit Japan with him and from that point on I knew that some day I wanted to have a Japanese Garden of my own. It wasn't until I visited the Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon that I realized that I could integrate the Japanese natural garden style into my woodland landscape.

I want to develop in my own gardens the sense of balance and serenity I experienced in the gardens, parks and temples I visited while I was in Japan. I want to use native plants where I can, since my climate is unfriendly to many of the typical JG plants. In addition, my son is allergic to maple pollen and conifers, so I have an additional challenge.

I've done some woodland style gardening but I'm just beginning to learn about Japanese style gardening. I want to know the whys as well as the how-tos.  I look forward to reading all your posts and learning everything I can from all of you.

Andee

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Hello from Kansas City
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:59:51 PM »
Andee, we are kindred spirits!  Although I am obviously obsessed with Japanese style gardens, my own is a woodlands-wanna-be with Japanese garden values, using a combination of natives and adapted species with traditional Japanese garden plants. As for plant choices, no Japanese gardener would choose a plant not adapted to the garden location, so that makes us pretty smart!

Question, where you slightly overwhelmed by your husband's appreciation of Japanese gardens until you visited yourself?

Welcome to the forum, Andee!

rhysande

• Kansas City metro
  • Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 11:55:27 PM »
I can't remember being overwhelmed. I think "relieved that we'd finally found a garden style we could agree upon"  was first and foremost in my mind. Our tastes overlap until it comes to anything decorative: I like contemporary furniture, he likes Early American; I like having art on the walls, the wall-hugger sweats at the thought of defiling any vertical surface with a nail hole. I swear he would have thrown himself between the spade and his lawn if I were trying to desecrate it with a shrubbery before he was exposed to Japanese gardening.So I'm happy we've found a style we can enjoy together.

By the way, you mentioned that somewhere on this forum is a discussion of ofuru. I've looked for it but haven't found it. Can you point me in the right direction?

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 12:46:17 AM »
Welcome Andee,  I envy your travels to Japan for I have only visited through photography and reading about the wonderful gardens there. 

It sounds like you have a firm grasp on what you want to achieve.

Best of luck with your garden,

June

rhysande

• Kansas City metro
  • Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 07:37:06 PM »
Thank you.

I'd love to go back. There were so many places I wanted to visit, but unfortunately I didn't have time.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 09:54:19 PM »
Andee, I can't find any reference to ofuru.  Was it in another context, maybe?  My apologies.

rhysande

• Kansas City metro
  • Niwashi
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »
Thanks for looking, Don. I tried running a couple different searches and the only thing close that I was able to find were some threads about building swim-in ponds. I think that may have been what you remembered.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »
Welcome Andee..

Don.. O-furo (u?) was a thread on Roberts site, as he at one time was looking for one. ...edzard

rhysande

• Kansas City metro
  • Niwashi
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:36:51 AM »
Sorry, that was a typo. It's been a long weekend.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 08:34:18 AM »
I remember that, now.  Someone had an old iron one.  I wish Robert would have given me the old threads to add here.

Andee, when I win the lotto or Edzard sends the other 13 cents he owes me, I will install an o-furo at the same level as my pond.  By sliding a panel back, I will actually be able to put my hand into the pond.  I will take a picture from the future location.

This was inspired by a passage from the book, "The Art of Setting Stones".

Thanks, for helping me remember, Edzard.

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 07:59:21 PM »
what is o-furo?

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
Bathing tub... sorry, should have filled that in.. thoughtless of me..
and we should probably take this off of Andee's introduction...     sorry Andee..         edzard..

rhysande

• Kansas City metro
  • Niwashi
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »
Don, are you planning on building a bath house? Or will it be more of a rotenburo style bath?

We have to redo our deck and patio this fall and plan to put in a hot tub. We'll have a small area next to it with a pondless water feature, just water pouring out of a bamboo spout into a bowl or basin, then spilling onto polished rock, with a few bamboo and maybe a small a maple in containers. We've never had a water feature before and figured it would be better to learn with a smaller project. But for my ofuro, if I can do it without going over budget, I want to create a wet room for the shower and tub in my master suite when we remodel next year. The shower has to be gutted anyway, so opportunity is knocking.

Kobold, an ofuro is an extra deep tub made for soaking and relaxing. One showers first, then slips into hot water up to the neck or shoulders. When my husband and I were in Japan we had one in our flat and it has been my definition of luxury and "someday when we can afford it" goal ever since. After walking all over the city it was a great way to end the day - all the soreness and aches melt away. Plus it was great for my skin, though that may have been partially due to having softer water.

Edzard, I don't mind. In fact, I brought it up. Maybe I shouldn't have?

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 09:28:42 AM »
Andee... by all means bring the subject up, it is your thread.
The only difficulty is later when people are looking for an 'o furo' thread or information, they will not know exactly where to look as information may become scattered.
Starting a new thread within the main body of the forum may be a better idea for accessing by others since we can add the links to builders of o furo in various places and continents.

There is a pleasant side to having a new persons interests and wishes mentioned as it does allow some of us to begin collecting and remembering where information is or was located.        thanks,.. ..... edzard

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 11:25:04 AM »
Andee, Edzard, thank you.
Meanwhile I found it in one of my books, Ryokan. But it was spelled without the "o", just furo.

Japanese