Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: pruning workshop at Furman univercity, Greenvill SC.  (Read 7958 times)

Yama

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
pruning workshop at Furman univercity, Greenvill SC.
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:29:41 PM »
Hi all
I am conducting small pruing workshop at Furman Univercity's oriental Garden Greenvill ,South Carolina March 29,30.  08.
I didn't notice because wanted keep calss size small. Ben and Chrsitian, Sheree and Shree's mother are local, Jim from virginia, Mike from Maryland.
Satday, Sunday covered many aspect of  Japanese pruning technic , knots,tools etc.   I wll ask to partcipants to post about workshop, things they have learned.
Within a week ,I am leaving Georgia and heading to Japan.   When I return from Japan, then move to Boston,Masachusetts area.  Once I setteled, I will find place to have workshop some where in North shore area, I let's you know later for date and place. If I find enough peoples who are intrested workshop.
If you have sugestion(s) where I can have class, what topic you like to cover, Please let's me to know.     
yama

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: pruning workshop at Furman univercity, Greenvill SC.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:26:26 PM »
Yama-san, I have a dvd to send to you.  Please email an address in the US I can send it to before you leave.  I have had trouble sending disks to Japan.

patch

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
Yama-san,
Just wanted to say thank you. I really enjoyed the class (despite the weather :() and really look forward to the next time.

The class was very informative and you answered questions about knot tying, pruning and shaping trees that the books just don't cover.
Also, I feel you can learn something better and remember it when you experience it.
For those of us who love Japanese gardens and gardening, you are a priceless resource of knowledge. 
I hope other forum members on the East Coast with questions like me, will read this and consider sponsoring a class with you.
Domo arigato,
Patch 

Yama

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:34:30 AM »
Hi patch
How was driving back to home ?    we have met intresting peoples who has very intresting job  ;D all of peoples who attended the class will join the this forum. 
 time pass very quickly. probably you might thought that 9:00 morning to 5;00 or 6:00 pm is too long for the class.  peoples come from  far.  you came to South Carolina almost 9 hours of driving from Maryland, Jim came from Virginia,   I have to make it for sure that you can take informations, knowlege to home and able to practice your self.  Books not able to give you answer allways.

Japanese gardening techinccan apply to any of garden style. many pruning of Japanese way is good for Engish garden ,Italian garden.

When I returne from Japan, I will find place (s) to have class,north shore area of Masachusetts or will travel to other states.        next time you come to my class, you will meet with Cady. Four years ago Cady visit from Boston to georgia to attend my Japanese garden class. Christian came from South Carolina for 6 months,evrey fist sunday . He never missed one class , never came to class late.

Next time we set small fire and warm sake in bamboo , you will know how good it is.   ;D
 It is practical  knowlege.    ;)
Some day  own land then plant many pine trees ,shurbs,trees which often use in Japanese garden , have large boulders to teach how to handle boulder with trypod, chain hoist and your hand ,legs.   make nobedan with concreat slub under neath, or use clay soil and lime/ cement mix/old fashion way. making tools which oftten use in japanese garden is 0ther topic I like to teach.

Thank you for come see me and driving many hours.    This is reason that my class is all day class. also whatever you have question I try my best to give you the answers.
I will let's you to know when i can offer another class.
yama

JamesT

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 06:40:08 AM »
Yama
I would be very interested to learn from you, especially in the old-fashioned way of things.  Please let me know when you are resettled and willing.
James

Yama

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 06:57:46 PM »
Dear James T
Where do you live?    I can't tell when I am going to have workshop/class next. Somewhere North shore of Mass /North of Boston or whereever I can find good place to have class. I enjoy to meet peoples.

If you have question(s), I will try my best to answer to your question. I have to learn how to post drowing or photos.    keep in touch , I let's you know when I have next class.
yama

patch

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
Yama-san,
The drive back was very, very long... :o But, I managed to make it home safe just after midnight.
Thank you again, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and willingness to spent all day in the cold weather to cover as much as you did. I look forward to the next time we can get together.
You'll be happy to know I just did a little bit of pruning on a 6' foot Cedar I hope to keep pretty small. I removed the interior deadwood, some of the multiple branches at the trunk that were to close together and the little sprouts at the trunk around the branches. I even managed to tight one branch to train it down, so it will fill in an empty space. I must admit it looks nice. If I had done this without your class, I'm sure the results would not be as good.
Domo arigato, Patch
P.S. Have a good time in Japan.  ;D   

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 10:37:07 PM »
Yamakami-sensei, the forum now has a gallery.  When you are ready, I will set up an album for you.

I am so sorry to have missed your calls!  Please email from Japan when you can.

dp

JamesT

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 07:04:48 AM »
Yama,

I live in central Pennsylvania, near Hershey - where they make the chocolate.  I'll look forward to an opportunity to visit you if are willing.  Our house is aways open, too, if you are in the area.

James

Yama

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 01:05:41 AM »
hi all
I am at my home town liburay now.  I am serching stone lanterns  and hiden christianty in Japan 1500,s and 160 and hiden christianty in Japan 1500,s and 1600,s.  I let,s you to know findings later.

June
 if you are reading this post, iam also trying tro find <dobosu> informations.  I located books.I have to spend many hours to find the fact about doboshu.  It is lot` easer to find  the informations here.
Time to able to access inter net is very  ;D
Today is my the first day to visiting the library.  Once Ilocate books i need to read and serch , I will post later day. 
yama

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
Mike, glad to hear you made it to your homeland safe and sound.  Also I hope you are enjoying your visit with your mother and you find her in good health.  Has she been cooking you your favorite foods?  That is what I do when the kids come for a visit.

Enjoy your time in Japan and we are glad to see you have availability to a computer and can keep in touch.

June

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »
Good to hear from you Mike - and glad you found a computer!  Tell your mother we are all coming over for supper.

Yama

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 02:26:43 AM »
Hi Don
3weeks past since I have reched to Japan. I have visited liburay fewtimes,shoped books at used book stores and brought about 10 books. one of book is <doboshu>. I have book lists of Furuta oribe, but do,nt have time to read it. Everything have been chenged somuch. I feel like I am Urashima taro. It willtake some time to get use to it.

After returne to US, I am moving to Salem, Mass,then find a job.
 I am not for sure when I can start Japanese gardening class again. But just matter of time, I will have a class.       
yama

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »
Just don't open the box, Taro-san.  Mike I am glad you are finally moving to Salem, but sad it is further away from Texas.  Several people have come to the forum after your last class!

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
For the thousands of you Japanese garden lovers that live in the San Antonio area, there will be a fund raiser tomorrow at Kumamoto En.  You can come laugh and heckle me as I demonstrate garden maintenance and bamboo fence basics.  Who knows, maybe I will add the missing knot to the Kenninji fence.  ;)