Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Pittsburgh greetings  (Read 2725 times)

Susan

• Pittsburgh PA - Zone 5Bish
  • Niwashi
Pittsburgh greetings
« on: March 20, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »
Hi all.

I'm Susan, a one-time frequenter of the Gardenweb forum from long ago. I fell off the face of the earth about 5 years ago when my daughter was born, but when I found this place I thought maybe it was time to at least start reading again.

I used to live in Portland, OR until 4 years ago when we moved to Pittsburgh. I miss the PNW terribly, including the Japanese Garden there.

My interests (gardenwise) are Japanese gardens, natives, Edible Forest Gardening (by Dave Jacke), and somehow integrating all of this into a quite slopey, interrupted yard that also has to contend with a big dog and an active child. (Soon to be 2). I don't ask for much, eh?

Inspirations include internet photos, tons of books, the few gardens I've visited, hikes through the forest, and the Georgian Bay on Lake Huron.

I'm happy to see some familiar names here (hi Edzard) and I hope to get to know other new people soon.

Cheers,
Susan M.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-- Dr. Seuss

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
Re: Pittsburgh greetings
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »
Sus!!!
good to see you have found your way here, which you probably knew about earlier, but probably have not taken the time.. understandable..
now at least i know why you have been on my mind, and i had been trying to work in time to ping your old address for a pulse, which hopefully would ellicit a response, for which I would not have time to respond to for the in-depth deserved, ergo,.. I would be a poor conversationalist and might appear rude, which would not be intended... (grumble grumble, nine o' the clock 'o the night and just coming in..)
--- do chime in or admonish wherever, twould appreciate your comments and discerning eye...
                 edzard

Susan

• Pittsburgh PA - Zone 5Bish
  • Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:49:19 AM »
Actually no, I've been quite the hermit lately and didn't even discover the forum until 2 days ago. Whereupon I had to sign up right away and see what kind of action I could find. :)

Expecting child #2 in July, so I don't know if I'll fall off the face of the earth yet again in late summer, :) but I'm going to try to keep my hand in the pot (or at least my eyes on it) as much as I can. The site here in Pittsburgh is an interesting challenge, I think fewer good options than you could get in Portland where just about anything grows. But this is good in a way, a narrower path to tread will help me in some ways. Too many choices paralyze the Sus. Heh.

I'm not posting much yet, busy reading EVERYTHING that I can find here. I'll jump in sometime soon. Must also blow the dust off my books and start getting inspired again. It snowed here yesterday but I think it was a last gasp on winter's part, and I'm feeling that restless urge to go plant something. :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-- Dr. Seuss

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 08:21:48 AM »
Welcome, Susan!  This forum is not as active as the GW once was, but we do have fun and share Japanese gardening.  Not to worry - I think they allow wireless laptops in the delivery room now...

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 06:34:42 AM »
Welcome Susan, and good luck with your young family.  It is funny how children take up so much of our time. But for those of us who garden, there is always time to transform a small portion of the earth into our own little piece of heaven.

Cheers  June