Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Observing the Masters  (Read 14836 times)

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
Observing the Masters
« on: February 10, 2008, 11:46:26 PM »
For those of you close to Lethbridge in Southern Alberta and wishing to learn something, actually just about anything about pine or maple pruning,..
this snippet may be of interest to you,

http://www.nikkayuko.com/events_and_activities_specialevents.asp

and of course involves Al White in both events..... ;D
       - hmm, I think I'll need a lawn chair, a wheel of brie with a nice gnarly shiraz and a pair of pruners to practice on the tailings, -- and say about 4pm, pull out a stream cooled beer to loosen Mizuno-sensei's tongue about the garden and his techniques...
                    edzard

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Observing the Masters
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:50:09 AM »
Does this forum come with a travel stipend for the admin?  No?  Oh well.  Anyone able to attend please take notes for the rest of us!

Say, Edzard,  is that the Hokey-Pokey they are doing in the picture?    ; )

thanks!
d

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »
Nope.
Its an early version of the Tennessee Birdwalk that predates the Nara period. Good guess though.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 05:44:56 PM »
best to bring this up again as the time is approaching for attendance for those that are fortunate enough to find their way there.
June 16th -> 20th  Pine,
9:00 A.M. until 2:00 P.M.

Maples in July.....

Healeyjet

• Saskatoon, SK Midwest Canada
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 07:49:44 AM »
Edzard, are you planning on going?  I would like to come down for Friday. Do you think they will be done all of the good pruning / talking by Friday?

Ward

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:35:23 PM »
Naw.. I talk a lot.. they, being stuck in ladders have no option but to listen, subsequently fall asleep and when I get tired of talking by Thursday, on Friday they wake-up with the answers from Tuesday to Thursday.

actually Ward.. even walkabout (camera) examining what has been done is an education by itself, and there is so much to be done I would hazard bringing ones own pruners... and if they are not wanted or needed, then its just as well (smuggle an extra set for me, Masa and Al probably still have a sharp and pointy weapons ban on me).
I do have the days penciled in, presumably Friday is do-able, though must also admit I may need to be elsewhere. (Shiro Nakane is also speaking in Portland on the 16th or 19th, I'll advise later on that or if someone knows, they can fill that in on another thread before I get to it.)
Ergo, I do not know yet, however the plan for the day is there, and can probably post yay or nay prior...
 ;D, nice long way to say, "more than likely, I think so".. don't ya think...?

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »
Ward...
you are thinking the 20th Friday and on Saturday 9 - 2, there is a pruning class by Masa... for unbelieveably inexpensive!!!!!!!
15.00, includes lunch.
must be a typo...

how will you be coming down here? air, train, bus, car, truck, genie??

Healeyjet

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 03:07:06 PM »
My wife and I were going to come down on Friday only, but a pruning class on Saturday changes everything.  We will probably stay for the pruning class as well.  We are driving.  It is a seven hour drive so if we leave Thursday after work and drive to Medicine Hat we are only two hours away on Friday monring.  Then, after the pruning class Saturday we will head home.  Do we have to advance register for the pruning class? 

Ward

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »
I think you would have to advance register as there are limited spaces..
the link at the top will get you to the page with the persons name on it..
    edzard

Healeyjet

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:36:38 AM »
Edzard, I just registered with Dixie and we are all ready to go.  Annie and I are scheduled to arrive Friday morning to watch them work on Friday as well as attend the class on Saturday.  This will be the first time Annie and I have attended any sort of pruning class so we are very much looking forward to it.

Ward

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
.. you will be in for a treat...

Healeyjet

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »
Will you be attending Edzard?

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »
attending was my plan though I still have a few obstacles to eliminate and - even in servicing Toy Truck, - changing winters to summers and so on, discovered I have a bent drive shaft that is vibrating more and more...
I think the last stones were too much for Toy Truck.. I should have used Truck or even Flatbed Truck as they would have been happy to have their gaskets oiled up.
shrug.. small obstacles, like a roof... we'll see when time transpires for that.
I do have a few questions for Mizuno sensei and so would like to be there rather than to have to wait for later in the year, maple time, or the following year... to which, in between, much can transpire between now and then.
:.  , not sure quite yet.

peterm

• Niwashi
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 09:57:14 AM »
Edzard - I am planning on going to Lethbridge tomorrow.  If you need a ride I would be happy to have the company.  I live in the south part of Calgary so I don't think we're to far from each another.  If you're interested call me at 605-3774
Peter

Healeyjet

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 10:19:37 AM »
Peter, are you going for just the one day?
Ward

Japanese