Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Greetings from Norway  (Read 3040 times)

Miko

• Niwashi
Greetings from Norway
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »
Dear All

My name is Michael and I live on the western coast of Norway in a city called Stavanger. My interest in Japanese gardening started with Bonsai - probably like quite a few others. With a very long coastline and mountainous areas I spot specimen trees on virtually every hiking trip I am part of. I also find a lot of inspiration from the Fjords where I live. Scenic rocks and mountains dive from 1000 meters straight into the deep blue fjords. Waterfalls are everywhere, and when you have a closer look you can see Scots pines and other conifers hanging on for their bare life way up the mountain-side.

So there is no lack in inspiration. Experience, on the other hand...  :) I am merely a beginner and have just started the planning of a garden at a house I bought some 6 years ago. The garden is long and narrow and pose a challenge in terms of creating the necessary depth. But I am really looking forward to taking on this challenge, and hope I can draw upon the experience that I am sure is available with many others in this forum.

I am looking forward to spend some time reading what has previously been written in this Forum, but please bare with me if I should ask some of the already-asked-ones once again.

Regards,

Michael

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Greetings from Norway
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:45:16 PM »
Welcome Michael.  Your home country sounds beautiful - and inspirational.  Dont worry about asking a question that has already been asked here.  Someone will probably tell you where to look to find a previous post if there is one.  Are you familiar with our temperature zone map?  If so, see if there is a zone that corresponds with your area.

Again, welcome to the community!

Don

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:50:38 AM »
welcome Michael..
you will find at least one other here from your part of the world...

-- what is the 'necessary depth' that is needed? Would it not be easier to work with what is there, rather than to always struggle with what can not be easily done? If 'necessary depth' is a problem, then that would be a question to address in the Design part of the forum.
                 vellkomen,     edzard

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 09:12:17 AM »
Welcome to our forum,  Your discriiption of Norway was beautiful and I look forward to your exciting project,  How your plans for the garden space evolve  will be very interesting to follow. 

Good luck and again WELCOME Michael

Cheers June

george in the uk

• East Yorkshire UK
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Anyone who never made a mistake never made anythin
    • George's Japanese Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:10:51 AM »
Hi Micheal,
welcome to the forum,the area that you describe where you live sounds absolutly marvelous, best of luck with your garden project.
George.