Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from S. Alberta chinook belt  (Read 3083 times)

Al

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Hyaku
Hello from S. Alberta chinook belt
« on: January 24, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
Hello, Just wanted to introduce myself, I am the maintenance technician at the Nikka-Yuko Garden in Lethbridge, Alberta. I have had the pleasure of training under the direction of Masa Mizuno of Portland Oregon. I began training in 1990 and after attaining qualification from Masa, have been maintaining this garden ever since. Although the pruning is the bulk of my duties, I also plant, edge, shoreline and pond repairs, stone setting rehabilitation, woodworking, etc, etc.  I have had the luxury of working with Masa for a period of two weeks each year for the past sixteen years, to me, an invaluable education, yet still learning. I am a Certified Arborist, and U of Guelph Qualified Plantsman.  Looking forward to listening to all members and exchanging thoughts.

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
Re: Hello from S. Alberta chinook belt
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:14:13 PM »
Welcome to mJG Al;

As I have extended to Kristin as well, we all here will appreciate your input in the many areas of maintaining a Japanese Garden.

I believe I may have had the pleasure to work with Masa at the Seattle symposium a few years ago.  My recollection is that he glared at me.  At the time (and to this day) I consider it a compliment.  It meant he was was actually watching what I was doing.   :)

Michael
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:32:51 PM by Mike »

Healeyjet

• Saskatoon, SK Midwest Canada
  • Niwashi Hyaku
Re: Hello from S. Alberta chinook belt
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
Al, I have been to Nikka-Yuko on two occaisions.  It is a beautiful spot in an unexpected location.  My 10 year old son even had the opportunity to be a part of the tea ceremony last fall. Whenever we find ourselves in Lethbridge we like to come by.
Ward
Saskatoon, SK

Japanese