Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Newbie looking for help  (Read 3096 times)

patch

• Niwashi Hyaku
Re: Newbie looking for help
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
KMC,
Happy to hear you where able to find gravel for your design.
Hopefully the changes you made will save your maple. Good Luck and keep us updated.
Patch.

kabuki999

• Niwashi Hyaku
Re: Newbie looking for help
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 05:00:34 PM »
Hi Kmckenna,
Guess I'm kind of late reading this thread, but when I did start to, very first thing that occured to me is that it would indeed be a important to change that sand to gravel... just like it has been recommended here already and eventually partly done.
As regards the livelihood and well-being of the maple, I tend to think that its proximity to the huge fir (?)is disadvantegous... despite my not being familiar with root systems, I have the feeling the maple is not getting enough nutrients this way.
Interesting your referring to the acer as "he" at times, and then as a "she"... just read that maples can fertilize themselves, so if that's true, I guess either pronoun is okay :)
You have a wonderful L shape borderline for this arrangement provided by the building... a really perfect basis for a courtyard garden, evoking something of a monastic atmosphere even...
While miniaturization certainly does have an important role in Japanese gardening, I believe it is mostly used to create illusions of depth and to keep trees, bushes managable, the garden in dimension. However, it's the human proportions that are at stake here as we look on to  somewhat out-of-scale scenes under a really huge tree... it is mostly the small size of the artifacts ( buddha- pagoda ) that I feel do this... esp. in great contrast with the mature conifer.   Hope I don't sound unkind, not authority on this, it is merely a personal opinion, sharing thoughts.
I think you have fabulous givens with the conifer and the building... the contours  you have applied in the designated  area with the dark pebbles on the periphery and the mossy islands  is really pleasing to the eye. I wish you a great time working on this seemingly simple but  actually very intriguing project.
kabuki999
kabuki999