Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Japanese Gardening Organization in 2017  (Read 1717 times)

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Japanese Gardening Organization in 2017
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:08:25 PM »
Dear Friend of JGO,

My name is Andrew Deane, and I am a newly-elected director here at the Japanese Gardening Organization. However, I am not new to JGO’s web site, which I first discovered about a decade ago after I moved to Tokyo. Like you, I have a deep and abiding passion for Japanese gardens and Japanese gardening, which in my case was first kindled in the mid-nineties when I traveled to Japan to work as a language instructor. Since then, I have sought opportunities to visit Japanese gardens whenever and wherever I travel, and I have been gradually constructing my own Japanese garden in a quiet suburb of Tokyo. I get such gratification every time I add a new tree or an old stone lantern, and recently I was as giddy as a schoolboy as I watched gardeners add major stonework and a dry pond to my little patch of earth. Like you, I read all the books I can get my hands on, and I visit the best web sites devoted to the field. There are hundreds of such sites on the Internet, but quality sites are not a dime a dozen. Nor do they sprout spontaneously and flourish without effort, energy and support. It is about this latter point which I would like to speak to you today.

The Japanese Gardening Organization was established in 2001 to advance the understanding and appreciation of Japanese gardening and to spread the benefits of Japanese gardening for individuals, groups, communities, and society. It is a non-profit organization run by volunteers featuring resources developed or written voluntarily by professionals and experienced amateurs. Ours is indeed a bold mission, but it is one that we here at JGO take very seriously. We believe that you do too, or you would not be frequenting the web site.

We strive to provide you with resources at all levels and in all categories, and our Forums assure a steady stream of input from a thousand professionals and amateurs on all manner of subjects related to Japanese gardens. In the last year alone, there have been around 800,000 forum page views, and 132 new topics have been added. Several articles on dry landscape gardening and the benefits of gardens to health and the spirit were added to the “Theory and Design” section. The World Japanese Garden Database now holds more than 100 garden references worldwide and continues to grow. Reviews of publications related to Japanese gardens and gardening were also entered into our “Publications” database. These resources continue to provide you with accurate and inspirational information on Japanese gardening.

I would like to single out the addition of Part 1 of A Japanese Garden Handbook, which was added to the organization’s web site in January 2016. I am grateful to the Japanese Gardening Organization for the opportunity to make my research available to a wider public audience, and I look forward to releasing the remaining four parts shortly. Herein lies one of the chief reasons for supporting JGO: the organization values the highest level of accurate and dependable information, and so do you.

So, how will we use your donation? The maintenance of any organization requires ongoing financial commitment, and for a non-profit organization run entirely by volunteers, this means that almost all such financing must come from sponsorship and public support. JGO maintains a web site which incurs annual domain fees and sundry monthly running costs. Regular planned expansion of this site requires upgrading software and hardware and paying additional annual and monthly fees. If you have not already made a donation, please make a secure online gift today by clicking the Donate button here  www.japanesegardening.org, or send a check to: Japanese Gardening Organization, 7306 N Vandiver Rd, San Antonio, Texas, 78209.

In closing, I would like to extend my general gratitude on behalf of all the directors, honorary directors and advisors here at JGO for you continued interest in this organization, and my particular gratitude for your financial pledge. Your contribution means that we can continue to add material of the very highest caliber to our web site and to fulfill our mission for the mutual benefit of anyone anywhere who shares our passion for Japanese gardens and Japanese gardening.

All the very best,

Andrew R. Deane
Board Director
Tokyo, Japan
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:24:51 AM by don »

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
Re: Japanese Gardening Organization in 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:53:55 PM »
great letter and dynamite photo

KT

JamesT

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
Re: Japanese Gardening Organization in 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:16:53 AM »
Belated agreement, KT,
Andrew, thank you for your professional touch and sincere touch.
James

Japanese