Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hey from Chicagoland  (Read 2659 times)

Gardenberry

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi
Hey from Chicagoland
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:24:15 AM »
Hey from Chicagoland!

I have been maintaining Japanese gardens professionally, first in Guelph, Ontario, Canada for 4 years and now in Chicagoland, for the past 5.5 years. Many of you know the garden that I take care of, called Sansho-en (not sure how much more info. I'm allowed to give) - it's quite large, almost 4 acres of land (3 islands) surrounded by a large, artificial pond. Not only do I do the daily maintenance, but I also am required to lead tours for the general public, write articles, give interviews, train workers and volunteers and teach classes.

Despite the "professional" title, I am a rank amateur compared to many of the people on the forums I've participated in. I met several of you all at the Japanese garden conference in Seattle a couple years ago. I have a million questions, but not a lot of time to spend chatting, so I tend to pop in and out of the forums on rainy or excedingly cold days when being up in a tree is uncomfortable or dangerous.

Cheers! I have great hopes that this forum will be much more pleasant than the others turned out to be!

GardenBerry (Kristin)

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
Re: Hey from Chicagoland
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »
Welcome to mJG Kristin!!!!

It is that "taking care of" part that makes you a valuable addition to this forum.  Every day, day after day, you are responsible for the care and feeding of a pretty good size Japanese Garden.  Rain, sleet, snow, high winds, etc... and those are just the natural disasters!

Pull up a five gallon bucket and enjoy the conversations.

Michael

Japanese