Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Garden bell placement  (Read 1789 times)

talldesk

• Niwashi
Garden bell placement
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:23:34 AM »
Hi, 

What are the rules regarding bell placement? I am thinking of hanging a wind bell (40 inches tall) from a torii gate-like structure (6 ft tall). Not sure about whether I should place it on the out in the open on the lawn, or place it elsewhere partially hidden like a stone lantern.  Thanks.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Garden bell placement
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:47 PM »
Talldesk, in my experience, a bell is used to mark, or to call attendees to, a worship or prayer session.  Since you likely do not have a temple or shrine, I think it would make the most sense placed near the entrance gate of your garden or near the entry to a building.  Others may know more about this.

If it is a large bell such as the one in the attached photo from the Trammell Crow sculpture gardens in Dallas, then perhaps it could be a destination and be considered a work of art?

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
Re: Garden bell placement
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 08:42:05 PM »
A couple of years ago, a garden client made a bell about three feet tall from an old propane cylinder. She hung it from from a wooden structure somewhat resembling a four-legged torii gate at the intersection of two sidewalks. The bell served to allow visitors to announce themselves before proceeding to the front door. It also served to call her husband in from the yard at lunch or dinner time.
I will add quickly that this is not the traditional usage of bells.
As Don mentioned in his response, the usual place is within a temple complex and the bell structure is quite special. There are craftspeople who specialize in bell towers.
I have seen a few inside Japanese gardens. The one at Rosecrance in Rockford Illinois is used to announce the graduation of an adolescent from the residential treatment program. There is one at Nani Mau Gardens in Hilo Hawaii, but the structure is in need of repair.