Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hi from a new designer  (Read 2691 times)

Buker

• Niwashi
Hi from a new designer
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
 Hello, I'm David and I am from Calgary, Alberta and am currently studying to become a Landscape Architect. I've long been intrigued by japanese gardens and their beauty. I hope to learn as much as I can here, and would appreciate any tips for design anyone has.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
Re: Hi from a new designer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:25:04 PM »
Welcome aboard David...
What year of studies are you in at the moment,.. which Uni? U of C? I was not aware they had a program for LA, closest being Winnipeg or Vancouver... - but then I'm out of touch with some things.
never the less, best thing to do is ask questions which enables a better answer..
as we are about an hours drive apart I look forward to running into you sometime when I'm tending things in the Calgary.
 - best tip for design one could give to an LA would be to get out and maintain at least one complex garden a year.. that way the designer can reduce the pallete to maintainable species, and understand the demands of the site from the type of growth developed from previous years (dieback etc.)
who are you working for?
                 edzard

Buker

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:08:14 PM »
Im currently in my second year (and final  :)) of Landscape Architect Technology at NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology). As of right now im unemployed, mostly because I havent decide if I'm going to continue onto University next year or stay as a LAT. NAIT has a nice transfer program to Guelph and a few Universitys in the States.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:14:23 PM »
Hi David.. then you are currently in Edmonton suffering the ministrations of Garth Bell, if he still be there, and old age allows me to comment that if you are choosing to be unemployed then obviously you have decided to remain as a LATechnician. ;)
-and therefore not be able to partake professionally of the advice previously offered  ;D
       --- there are some gardening professionals here from Edmonton btw.