Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello, from Robert at JGarden  (Read 2835 times)

Robert at JGarden

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi
Hello, from Robert at JGarden
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:03:09 PM »
Robert Cheetham, here.  I've been running JGarden.org since 1996.  JGarden.org is an online database on the historical and contemporary gardens of Japan as well as the gardens located outside Japan that have been inspired by the culture.  It is a non-profit, educational web site that is currently in its 5th iteration, but the current version's been around for a few years, so I'm itching to update it.

But JGarden is not what I spend most of my time on.  I live in downtown Philadelphia and run a small software company, called Avencia, that specializes in web-based software for geographic analysis.  My wife and I don't own enough land to have a garden, but before finding my vocation in geographic information systems, I studied Japanese in university, lived in Japan for 4 years and then got a graduate degree in landscape architecture (JGarden.org started out as a grant application to support a proposed summer research project).

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
Re: Hello, from Robert at JGarden
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 10:46:03 PM »
Welcome to mJG Robert!!!!!

Robert brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to this board.  Some of you may have found this place through his website but if you found another way here, I highly recommend visiting it.

One of the biggest tools that is on the site is the search by zip code.  When I am travelling for work and know that I have some time to kill, I punch in the zip code and look for gardens or stores in the area.  I have surprised people more than once with finding a treasure in their area that they knew nothing about (some of them lifelong residents in that particular area).

Again, welcome Robert!!!