Front Desk- Open To Public > General Discussion

Japan Trip

(1/1)

morrination:
Hi, :)

My wife are heading to Japan in April. Our main aim is to see a lot of Gardens. We are specifically interested in Tsubo-Niwa especially those in Mizuno's books. We will be in Kyoto to do this. The main question is how does one go about a seeing all the Tsubo-niwa there as there is very little online as to how to go visit them, there certainly isn't any tours set up? We are keen to see large gardens also but here we must book. We arrive April 10th. We would be so grateful for anyone who can point us in the direction of a good tour operator or away of pulling a garden visiting trip together. PFA a list of interesting gardens we wish to visit if it helps.

Thanks so much in advance, we would love to gain from others' experience.

Johnny and Claire

edzard:
Johnny.. excellent, good for you both..
it may be a good idea to mention here what dates you are where, basic itinerary, so that there is something to work with when asking...
Douglas Roth's tour is probably one of the best out there, though, I do not know his dates..    edzard

morrination:
Edzard San,

We are extremely interested in visiting Machiya /Tsubo-Niwa in Kyoto. . We will be in Kyoto from the 9th to the 12th Roughly. Our requests are

SHIORI-AN museum,
Kawamura Orimono,
Shikunshi,
Kitahara Omiya-An,
Yuzuki,
Obiya Sutematsu,
Okada,
Kano,
Shosuikaku or Nishijin-Ori Art museum,
Nishijin Asagi ,
Izutsu-Ya,
Manzokuyya Kimura,
Misuya-Bari and
Gallery Tazawa

I hope this may help.

Johnny

K.T. Cannon-Eger:
The tour mentioned by Edzard is May 18 to 30, 2014. Here is a link:
http://www.rothteien.com/tour/tourshome.htm

Even though the dates do not match the dates you will be in Kyoto, you may glean some information from the Roth's publication: Sukiya Living: The Journal of Japanese Gardening.

In addition, I found the information booths at train stations in Kyoto to be most helpful in pointing out things nearby and helping me orient my map to the streets in front of me.

Another source you might try if you are on Facebook is Kyoto Fan. The site has been up since 2011 and recently was continued by a corporation. They have a connection to Kyoto Design House. I have found them to be very responsive to messages.

Have a wonderful trip,
K.T.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version