Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1857 times)

wchjr

• Niwashi
Hello
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »
Greetings everyone,

My name is Willard and today is my first official day as a member of this group, which I found quite by accident after countless hours searching the internet for inspiration.  I am truly a novice although I have "enjoyed" viewing and experiencing Japanese and Asian gardens for quite some time. My exploration has been through actual visits and readings.  I am looking forward to gaining knowledge through the shared experiences of the group.  I have already learned quite a bit in the first few hours reviewing threads.   I live in Indiana and have a small somewhat level space in the back of my house about 40' by 80' which I "hope" to convert over the next "several" of years to a place of serenity; combining adaptive features of water-gardens, koi ponds and rock garden features.

JamesT

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
Welcome Willard,
Since you have the opportunity to start fresh, take time to ask about some of the primary Japanese garden considerations.
-Purpose: Is "place of serenity" the main idea to be expressed?
-Relationships: to environment, site, community, owners
-Perspective: views to select, control, create
-Use of space: particularly "ma", horizons
-Transitions: openings, closures, experiences
-Texture: Coarse-fine
etc...
There's a lifetime of delight to be explored while deciding "how, then, shall we live"?
James

wchjr

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 08:20:20 PM »
Hello James,

thank you for your welcome, statements and questions.  There a few details left out of my intro, your questions bring them to mind now and will help me to focus as I move forward.   My space is fenced and private, so the only viewers will be family and invited guest.  I fenced the yard last year and this year my fiancé and I spent a great deal of time "undoing" the work of the previous owners.  The garden was completely overgrown and full of weeds.  I retired in February of this year so I have plenty of time to do and try things.  Learning as I go, re-doing as I realize that some things don't fit or turn out as I envision them. This past Spring we put in a couple of starter Koi ponds (pre-formed) just to see if it might fit. Next summer, i'll probably remove the preformed ponds and go for larger options.  I don't want to put too much in this introductory thread, however, i'll surely start a few additional threads in the appropriate sections.  Thank you again for your welcome and insights, I've included them in my notes.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Willard.  I hope you find the inspiration and answers!
Don

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
Welcome aboard Willard! lots of great folks to help you out here.  Have you posted a picture of two of your garden space and existing pond?  I am in the midst of considering a pond in my yard, I would love to see it.

Thanks and good luck! :)