Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2009 times)

rickichan

• Niwashi
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:06:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm a gardener from East Central Indiana. I lived in Japan for 1 1/2 years when I was 2- 3 years old (59 years ago) while my father was in the navy. That's where I received the nickname Rickichan. We built a new home 4 years ago and I'm working on the landscape myself.  I've nearly finished a Zen style garden I'd like feedback on; especially on whether or not to place a metal lantern on a rock or on the ground. 

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Rickichan 

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  You can post photos of your garden in the Private Gardens forum for comments if you like.

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:58:27 AM »
Welcome Rickichan,
Did you post some puctures?

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
I mean pictures of course.  :-[

rickichan

• Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 12:37:14 AM »
Hi,
I tried to post a picture of my stone garden but I wasn't able to find it after I posted it. I want to install an electrified metal lantern on a rock and I don't know if the placement is appropriate.  I'll try to post the picture again tomorrow.  Presently I'm connecting the stone garden with a stone walkway via a gravel and stepping stone path with a dry stone stream with a stone bridge.  The piece of stone is 4' x 18" x 2".  Do I need to use footers below the frost for both ends of the bridge so it won't move in winter/spring thaw?
Thanks for your interest. 
Sincerely,
Rickichan

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »
Hello Rickichan,
Posting a picture for the first time is often a bit of a challenge.  I had difficulties my first time.  Sometimes it takes a while.  And if there is an error, there is not always an indication to you that there was an issue.

I believe the most common problem is that everyone loves to upload nice quality pictures.  Most cameras, and even camera phones support very high resolution.   These high quality images are big "files".  Often several around 5,000 Kb or larger.  (5,000 Kb ~ 5 Mb).

The administrator of the system has conserve space so the largest image size a person can post is 256K.  we had more than 12,000 posts so you can see how it an issue.    Everything done here is done from donated time and resources.  I hope you understand.  We would love to see your photo do you know how to make it smaller before you attempt to upload it?

I dug up a few references on the forum on this so you can read them too.  Perhaps they will help.  Don't give up.  If you need more help just ask, I will do all I can to help. 

Here are some other threads of discussion on this and a few other tips that have assisted others:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:56:34 AM by Michaelinseattle »

Japanese