Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Linked Events

• Portland JG-Porcelain Sculpture of Sueharu Fukami & Phot: October 05, 2013

Author Topic: 10-5 thru 11-17-13 Porcelain Sculpture of Sueharu Fukami & Photographs by Jean V  (Read 794 times)

tdg

• Portland, Oregon
  • Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
A Distant View

The Porcelain Sculpture of Sueharu Fukami with Photographs by Jean Vollum Exhibition

October 5-November 17

The Portland Japanese Garden will present the exhibition A Distant View: The Porcelain Sculpture of Sueharu Fukami with Photographs by Jean Vollum October 5-November 17, 2013. Works by Sueharu Fukami—some on loan from private collectors in Portland and others direct from the artist’s studio in Fushimi, Japan—will be exhibited along with a series of color photographs by the late Jean Vollum, who was Fukami’s longtime friend and patron. Internationally acclaimed for his ceramics, Fukami produces sleek, elegant sculptures with soaring forms and refined edges that are achieved by injecting liquid clay into a plaster mold, a technique developed and refined by Fukami. The porcelain is colored with a distinctive bluish-white glaze called qingbai in China, where it was developed in the 11th century.  This bluish-white hue is echoed in the photographs of Jean Vollum, which capture the striking, fragile forms of polar ice floes. Both artists’ work is inspired by the natural world. Fukami recalls an experience by the ocean when he was in his early 20s that was a defining moment in his career. “It was the memory of an encounter I had with a sharp breeze while on the cliff during winter… All the senses in my body felt the pleasure of the strange wind as it stabbed my cheek. This tactile experience is at the heart of my creations.”

Presenting Sponsor: The Jean Vollum Fund of the Vanguard Charitable Endowment

The 2013 Art in the Garden annual exhibition series is supported by grants from Meyer Memorial Trust, Maybelle Clark Macdonald Fund, the James F. & Marion L. Miller Foundation, the Collins Foundation, the Wessinger Foundation, and Rose E. Tucker Charitable Trust.