Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hi from Santa Barbara, CA  (Read 1420 times)

gardenstgirl

• Niwashi
Hi from Santa Barbara, CA
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:02:27 AM »
Konichiwa,

Happy to connect with so many folks with strong interests in Japanese gardening! I'm wondering if anyone can refer me to a craftsperson who has the skill to build a traditional japanese fence and gate?  Preferably from central or southern California, as I live in Santa Barbara.

Many thanks!

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
Re: Hi from Santa Barbara, CA
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Hi gardenstgirl. You might try looking at joe woods stuff. As I recall he is in CA. A quote from one of his posts is below

Although I hardly ever post here I'd like to share some of my Japanese 'Style' projects and Designs.
http://www.japanesegardening.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2519
Maybe this will encourage me to post more and add to the discussions :-)

I know most of my designs aren't really done in a true 'Japanese Style' but I try and capture the proportions, balance and harmony I see in so many Japanese structures. I do employ some
traditional joinery, but I've designed these using mainly Western Style building techniques.

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 02:47:16 AM »
You might ask at Anzen Hardware in Los Angeles -- they had plenty of tips and tools when we visited there last October.
Best wishes,
KT

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »
Drop a PM to Chris (above under My Messages), one of the board of Directors here with JGO.  He is a Japanese carpenter on the east coast but probably has connections near you.  He is kikujunjo in the forum.

Don

Japanese