Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Seattle  (Read 6687 times)

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
Hello from Seattle
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »
Hi,
In the last 2 years I have taken up quite an interest in Japanese gardening.  Traveling to the gardens in Seattle, Portland, and soon in Vancouver.  When there, I often take pictures.  I will try to upload a sample from the Garden in Portland taken Autumn of 2012 for others to enjoy.

I have been buying many books and I just love to learn more about Gardening in the Japanese style.  I have started creating a Japanese Garden in my own yard.  Moss areas, putting in rock features,and I have the basis of a new pond/stream that I hope to complete this year. 

Thank you.  Michael
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:31:53 AM by Michaelinseattle »

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Hello from Seattle
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:29:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Michael.  Beautiful picture!

zvone

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »

Hi Mihael!

Welcome on forum!

Most beautiful part is in front of you: construction of Japanese garden. I wish you much luck and successes. Consult, investigate and listen to also others. But he does finally like this, as a heart is telling these, like this you are feeling corner alone. I am convinced , that you won't fail.

Best regards! Zvone

P.S. Beautiful pictures! Thank's!

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »
Most beautiful part is in front of you: construction of Japanese garden. I wish you much luck and successes.

Best regards! Zvone

Zvone,
Thank you. I have been gathering up information on my garden had I have posted a bit there.  http://www.facebook.com/MichaelsGardenProgress  I have never created a Facebook page like this.  If you cannot see it please let me know.

Thanks... Michael

zvone

• Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
Most beautiful part is in front of you: construction of Japanese garden. I wish you much luck and successes.

Best regards! Zvone

Zvone,
Thank you. I have been gathering up information on my garden had I have posted a bit there.  http://www.facebook.com/MichaelsGardenProgress  I have never created a Facebook page like this.  If you cannot see it please let me know.

Thanks... Michael

Thank's Michael!

Your Garden Progress is best!

Best Reagrds!  zvone

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:26:29 PM »
It may not seem like much to all the folks who know more about gardening than I.  But I wanted to share this little success. 

Two years ago I found out I had Iris in the yard after living here for about 10 years.  One bloomed, so suddenly I knew it was not simply tall seasonal grass.  I fed it, watered it. And no flowers the next year.  I learned it needed more light, so I moved half the mass last fall.  And now this year, I have 20+ flowering.   ;D  And they are already moved to the back yard....  where a future stream/pond area will be.  I am a happy gardener.  Dreaming of Koi some day.

I thought I would share my joy.  Happy Gardening.  8)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:38:43 PM by Michaelinseattle »

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:38:59 PM »
beautiful...thanks for sharing this photo and the news of multiplying irises
kt

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:31:03 AM »
2013 Summer Growth in the garden:
New things for the garden. Hostas have achieved flowering for the first time. Himalayan maidenhair fern have returned from winter (and I added a few more). Right near July 4th the humming birds and Crocosmia have emerged.

If you would like to see more pictures, they are visible from a public share on facebook below.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.589371157780167.1073741832.522771921106758&type=1

Happy Gardening!!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:45:51 AM by Michaelinseattle »

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
lovely...and thanks for the FB album.
wish we could grow hosta here in Hawaii, but I haven't found the right climate for them even at 4,000 feet in the Volcano golf course subdivision. plus there are those voracious slugs and snails!
best wishes with your lovely garden,
kt

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »
I thought I would share one collage image from my garden from the last few weeks. A few snapshots of the garden in fall colors and snow.  These pictures are from about the last 12 weeks.  As autumn came and winter set in.  I just love that within the compression of a few weeks the bright hue of autumn turned into the pure white of winter.

Even though I did not do alot to modify the garden around the house this year it feels like it is maturing.  A special thanks to all those on the forum for contributing ideas and always helping me improve as the garden and I grow together.

I managed to get out into the garden and clean it a bit on the first day of 2014.  I saw the first snowdrop flower had emerged at the same time as the last maple leaf still clung to the tree.  It was wonderful.

I took the time to observe the reflection of the trees in a dew drop, the sun warming and drying freshly fallen leaves, snow gently accumulating on the lanterns and buds that had tucked themselves in for the winter.

The newest garden members, the inspiring waterfall stone and beginnings of the karesansui ocean for Galápagos looked wonderful blanketed in snow.

Words to express how I feel in the garden are difficult to summarize. Last time I tried I came simple expression in words of how I would like it to unfold in the future the following words came to mind:
  • Sublime, Open, Transcend followed by Calm, Fragile, Unified/Connected Balance. 
  • With the image of  a small tree, a force of life, making its way up between the massive rocks. The rocks themselves covered in moss and life. In the picture below the small tree is paired so nicely with the giant pines in the background. They dip down from the sky to complete the picture.

This was only visible for moments as the mist across the lake lifted and the sun came through. Brief like our time here. Brief and Precious, Open... The dappled texture of moss/lichen on rocks. So similar to dappled sunlight through the leaves in the summer. I cannot seem to resist, they beckon me...

I think 2013 in the garden made progress in those directions.  I feel it captured a little bit of that in the dew drop picture.. and of course the "drop" in the karesansui ocean... A special thanks to all those on the forum for contributing ideas and always helping me improve as the garden and I grow together.

If your interested in seeing a few more pictures.... They are online here in the MichaelsGardenProgress area of Facebook I set up.

If you want to get updates of my facebook page on your Facebook news feed, simply "like" the top level page. Comments are always welcome.  On the forum and off.

Thanks and Happy Gardening in the new year..... Michael

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 08:34:15 PM »
Beautiful Michael.  Thank you for sharing.  Your transient view of the pine in the mist and your view of your garden trees in the drop - one time, one meeting:

Ichi go, ichi e

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:13:27 AM »
Ichi go, ichi e

Thank you don.  I have been pondering for quite some time on a name for my garden, or possibly a brief poem to have carved in stone....   Ichi go, ichi e and and fits to how my thoughts on the pacific northwest and Japanese gardening in a 'natural zoki form' have been evolving.

Also... Shotoku no Senzui and the thoughts of nature captured in the Sakuteiki seem to summarize it a bit... Or I guess it would be better to say.. I my limited understanding of what Sakuteiki presents after worked to read though Sakuteiki Visions of the Japanese Garden by Jiro takei, Marc P. Keane.

Is there a time it is best to name a garden?  In a way, I feel like I want to keep it open forever.  However, It is very true that I have thoughts and feelings about it that are a centering force on the garden design/evolution.

Any suggested poems or ways I can refine these thoughts on a name of the garden and/or capturing it's targeted design essence?  Ok, that is deep enough for me, especially before coffee in the morning.  ;) Have a great day everyone.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:31:10 AM by Michaelinseattle »

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »
I do have a couple of thoughts. 

When we got our first golden retriever pup, we were greatly concerned with what to name him.  My brother-in-law suggested the latin phrase for 'nothing to name' so as to leave his meaning open for change.  Of course he almost named himself - he could not pass up a stick!  So we named him Woodruff and called him Woody.  So for you it would be Wa namae nai and would then forever remind you that it has no name and therefore many names.  What is the sound of one hand clapping?  It is deafening!!!

The other would be to read one of my favorite books, 'The Art of Setting Stones' by Keane. Its not really about setting stones literally, but for me the essays capture the essence of what Kyoto felt like.  The can put you in a state of deep appreciation of the garden.  I think it may be an inspiration that will help you name your garden.

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 09:53:17 AM »
Don,
Thank you.  I will read the 'The Art of Setting Stones' by Keane and perhaps start a little review on it :)

... Michael

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 09:53:01 PM »
Hi All,
I like to upload a picture now and again of my garden here in my intro thread.  This year I managed to catch spring emerging with the maples and a few other plants.  I hope you all enjoy the Collage from Spring 2014. :)

If you would like to see a few more images...  I posted some on my MichaelsGardenProgress on Facebook

Japanese