Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Seattle  (Read 8224 times)

zvone

• Niwashi
Re: Hello from Seattle
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 02:45:57 AM »
Hi All,
I like to upload a picture now and again of my garden here in my intro thread.  This year I managed to catch spring emerging with the maples and a few other plants.  I hope you all enjoy the Collage from Spring 2014. :)

If you would like to see a few more images...  I posted some on my MichaelsGardenProgress on Facebook

Vau Michael!

Beautiful!

Still forward successfully!

Best regards!  zvone

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 12:33:28 PM »
A few snapshots/updates from North East corner showing 2015 progress in the garden. 

I had to Adjust supports for the weeping atlas cedar to accommodate the 3 years of growth and continue it's flow into the north/side yard.  Also, I fine tuned level of side yard meeting the front yard in the North East portion of the garden (where lantern is in water). 

Wide panorama shot:

The high spot of the tsukubai to the right (East) of the Atlas Cedar flows nicely to water the Cedar.  This will be reworked in the future since so much growth has happened in the last few years.  The overflow will go directly to the maple tree on the downhill/left.

Other Images below:
I set the Lantern foundation to be covered with one layer of black pebbles to simulate what will happen in heavy rain.   the water comes forward to the edge about 3 pebbles back from the scalloped crushed granite pathway and descends to water the maple in the neighbors yard that sometimes gets too dried out in the summer.  There is a spot on the north side of the house for resting and looking out on this from across the moss and various ferns.  In the morning, bird song, shadows, breeze, dripping water, humming birds on the Crocosmia. 

A few little sort videos to show what it is like with a bit of morning motion.

More pictures on FB for those with interest.   

If you like Black Pebbles, there is a forum post here with more pictures of  Black Pebble/Beach ~ Nature Inspiration

Happy Gardening...  :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:04:58 PM by Michaelinseattle »

mslater

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for posting pictures. Would you be willing to interpret one of photos? I would be interested in learning how you put one of your designs together.

Mike

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 06:15:44 PM »
Of course. 8)  I am going to be off line a bit.  But as questions. I will do my best to answer.  :)

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
Continuing to improve the existing Tsukubai after repair to the stonework and landscape from this falls major garden installation.  This little area has become a tsubo mini garden that includes many waterfall stones I have collected it controls water flow in the north east corner of the property. 

Tsukubai ~ waterfall stone tsubo mini garden images:

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 01:22:09 AM »
Another picture

Healeyjet

• Saskatoon, SK Midwest Canada
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »
Looking good!

Ward

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »
very nice ... thank you for the progress photos on your tsukubai.

kt

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 11:44:57 PM »
Thanks Ward and KT!  It was hard work... but I love this... the water brings dragonflies and humming birds. :)

nola

• New Orleans-zone 9
  • Niwashi
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
Very cool. Do you have a reservoir beneath the above-ground vessel? How do you deal with algae? I have a pot with a fountain pump in it and have to dump, rinse and refill at least weekly. The pot is in sun, so I am sure that doesn't help.

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 07:35:57 PM »
Nola,
Thank you.  No beneath ground reservoir yet.  One is planned for the future.  Still have some micro leveling to do as the stones blend with the shaped grass. Right now the water it tied to the main watering system so it only runs when I am watering.  I let it dry out if need be.. only minor algae issue.. I clean it spring and just clean it as needed. 

Lots of water needed in this area for the blue atlas cedar that competes with the neighbors arborvitae hedge that is 25-30 feet tall just behind the Tsukubai.

Longer term, I will make most of the water flow to the cedar more directly and perhaps put a solar powered recycle pump to keep a minimum flow moving most of the day.  Dragonfly, hummingbird, and other birds love this area...  It is a joy to sit near in early in the morning and sip coffee.

Note: this is all the grass left I have anywhere on the property. I wanted to have just  a little... I left a run of clover though the center... 4 leaf often appear there.. I am sure they will take over the grass again... I will let nature win in the end... :)