Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: introduction  (Read 2441 times)

Speef

• Niwashi
  • Hi, I'm Speef in Northern Indiana USA.
introduction
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »
Hi, I'm Speef.
I live in Northern Indiana with a yard that is between zone 5a and zone 4.  We do not get the lake effect snow that offers the insulating protection for many zone 5 plants.

I've already learned new things just reading 3 posts, so I'm really looking forward to further study.  Isn't this dry stream cool, look how they placed the flat, elevated rock so the gravel appears to be flowing underneath it!
May you always be content with yourself!

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »
Welcome Speef!  Good to hear you are enjoying the forum.   And yes, Daisen En may be the most famous of all Japanese dry stream landscapes.

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »
Hi Speef,
Welcome.  I am new here too. A wonderful picture. :)

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »
Hi Speef,
I am starting a little research on the garden/image you posted.  I would love to hear more about why you like it.  Or, just follow along in the thread if you would like. I hope your enjoying the forum as much as I am.

I will begin a more in-depth study of Daisen-in.  Especially as it relates to this arrangement, fit to the overall effect. Everything I can get my hands on.  If anyone has any materials on it, or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, reference content, published books, academic papers. 

What I have at my disposal already that references it in some way or another:
  • Japanese Stone Gardens by Stephen Mansfield.
  • Japanese Gardens by Gunter Nitschke
  • The Secret Teaching in the art of Japanese gardens.  By David Slawson. This has a wider image on plate 8

Speef

• Niwashi
  • Hi, I'm Speef in Northern Indiana USA.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
Hi Micheal,
The picture I shared struck me because I've been trying to find ways to extend the refrerence to water in my garden.  All I have is an eight foot diameter pond with small waterfall that is near where we sit on the patio so I can hear the water.  I can't dig any closer because the original pipes for the well are close by, and it is absolutely filled with roots.  Digging the small pond was hard enough.  I'd been thinking of digging a shallow dry bed from the little pond to my zen garden.  The way they show the dry bed coming out from under a bridging rock makes it really look like water to me.
May you always be content with yourself!

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
The way they show the dry bed coming out from under a bridging rock makes it really look like water to me.
Keep up your search for images of this garden. There is a garden on each side of the main building, each leading to the next and each quite different than the one before.
This view is at a corner of the building. The dry stream "flows" along the entire side including under a covered passageway to another building. This "bridge" has a bench and a bell shaped window from which one may regard either the view shown in your photo or, through the shapely window, the wider stream view below and beyond. 
The sensation of flow exists throughout.
Your search should include images too. I found a couple on YouTube and the following one on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lao_ren100/sets/72157605295492303/
Happy hunting!
KT

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 06:56:06 PM »
Speef,
I found many fantastic pictures of Daisen-in here:

http://rubens.anu.edu.au/new/japan.stereo11Gb.0302/kyoto/daisenin/left/

Don't forget to click next page when you get there... about 120 high quality images.. They come up as smaller thumbnails.. About 20 per page. to see the bigger image, just click on the picture. :)

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »
good link Michael.
kt

Japanese