Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hallo from Norway  (Read 2922 times)

Ales

• Niwashi
    • https://www.facebook.com/australan.alex
Hallo from Norway
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
Hello in the forum.
 I'd like to say hello from Norway, Thank you for accepting me here in the forum .. This year I bought an old house in the woods 100 kilometers north of Oslo. For many years, I am impressed by Japanese culture, the art of the old samurai, Japanese gardens and bonsai. Because I have a large garden, I decided for a project with a pond, tea house, dojo where I can practice Kendo ..... I would love to here your advice awoke from the experience of Japanese gardens ... In the coming year, I would like to visit Japan, where I'd like to visit gardens and feel the harmony .... Thank you for this forum here :)
Not many fools in Norway, which is building a Japanese garden, we have a short summer, cold winter, worse climates, but if I do I edit suitable plants, here everything is possible ...
Best regards  .. Ales

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
Re: Hallo from Norway
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:35:42 AM »
Welcome to the Forum. You will find a great deal of help here and on the web site.
I recently visited Denver where an aikido dojo, folk art museum, country-style restaurant and garden exist on the same lot in an industrial section of town. You might enjoy looking at Domo Restaurant's web site http://www.domorestaurant.com/
Warm regards,
KT

george in the uk

• East Yorkshire UK
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Anyone who never made a mistake never made anythin
    • George's Japanese Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »
Hi Ales,
Welcome to the forum.
George.

etehiver

• Minnesota - zone 4
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »
Velkommen til forumet!
As you start looking through old posts in this site, you'll find members with similar climates to your own.  You definitley dont need to have Japanese plants and rocks to make a Japanese garden. Edzard's from Canada and he has lots of expertise that he's shared.

Again, welcome to the forum.

- Mark (whose great grandparents were from near Stavanger)

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »
Ales, thank you for the greetings from Norway, and welcome to the forum.. having a garden as you propose should be naturally easy because 100km north of Oslo is still a similar temperature and climate as parts of Hokkaido    ;D   it also helps to design more for the winter landscape as the summer landscape is so short. Understanding how to create snow drifts that fit into the 'winter' garden design is something to consider, and, "what is the beauty of snow"? A garden would showcase the beauty of snow where snow is encouraged to fall or blow to naturally.   edzard

etehiver

• Minnesota - zone 4
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
Living in Minnesota, I wish I had heard Edzard's advice before we hired a landscaper to "design" our Minnesota property. Winter is a long season for us, and planning for it would've made a lot of sense!

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 01:13:30 AM »
(Mark, should we rework that design this winter?)
sorry Ales, not meaning to hijack your introduction     edzard     

etehiver

• Minnesota - zone 4
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
(Perhaps we should Edzard. :-). If you have the time and inclination.  My wife and I might be finally ready to make a change. )

- Mark

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 11:36:45 PM »
Ales, have you started to design your garden yet? Perhaps with your insight on plants and climate we could work through some plans that are suitable for cold climates... and yes Mark, deeper into the winter I should have time and inclination. If i do not then I'll make time as projects are always a way to learn something new.
Once again Ales, welcome and we would look forward to hearing of your plans for your projects..  edzard

etehiver

• Minnesota - zone 4
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:50 AM »
Ales,
You might be interested in this, the most recent blog post by pruning expert and author Jake Hobson.  Looks like he had a good time in Norway.  Maybe this place is near you? (Jake posts in this forum too.)

Edzard, I'll look forward to picking things up again later this winter.

- Mark

Ales

• Niwashi
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »
 Hello garden friends :)
Thank you for the welcome, I looked at the links, thank you for the tips. My project is now painted in Computer, since winter began and already can not work out, I've been working on the preparation for following season and gradually putting together a basic modifications required for establishing a basis Have a nice day from Norway :)

Ales

zvone

• Niwashi
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 04:47:41 AM »
Hello garden friends :)
Thank you for the welcome, I looked at the links, thank you for the tips. My project is now painted in Computer, since winter began and already can not work out, I've been working on the preparation for following season and gradually putting together a basic modifications required for establishing a basis Have a nice day from Norway :)

Ales

Hi Ales!

Welkome to forum.

You are in front of heaviest decision. He is possibilities much. Consult with "expert", but you decide, decide with your heart.

Best Regards!  zvone

Ales

• Niwashi
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
Hallo Zvone :)
thank you for the message, I know that the decision is very difficult, especially when I'm not a Japanese gardener :) I let project to develop the Institute in the studio ... so we'll see what comes up for drawings .. Truth is the foundation must create profesional, but you are building your own world, so you're absolutely right :)
Best regards from Norway

Ales

Japanese