Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: hello from Nagasaki  (Read 4537 times)

Jan

• Niwashi
    • Oh Brother
hello from Nagasaki
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
Hi!! i was googling for information about stone lanterns and found this place.  what an amazing collection of information!!
I am from northwest washington and moved to Japan 25 years ago. Last year my husband and i found an amazing old(er) house and fell in love before we even walked in. The previous owner of this house was a landscaper/gardener and the garden is just amazing!! So we bought it, moved in and here we are.   looking forward to learning about you all and your garden adventures and picking up what i can!!!
Living in Nagasaki ....25 years now.
old house, beautiful garden, one husband, 3 kids.

JamesT

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
Re: hello from Nagasaki
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:40:44 AM »
Welcome Jan,

Your story will be one I think everyone will want to hear.  Would you be willing to share pictures?

Wishing you joy in your garden,
James

Jan

• Niwashi
    • Oh Brother
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »
thanks James! and i am looking forward to hearing other stories too!!

If you can wade through the family pictures and the quilting stuff, i have included my blog address in my profile.... Probably Oct 2011 in the archives should have several pictures of the house and garden.... i will post some photos later... unfortunately, about a month ago while cleaning up the computer, my son deleted ALL of our photos.. but there are a few good ones of the garden on the blog....

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:27:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum Jan.  Yes pictures would be nice!  Posted here gives us a chance to discuss what we see as a group for everyones advantage.  Hope you enjoy the forums!

don

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
Welcome Jan, the garden has such wonderful bones, and wabi sabi to spare!  Welcome to the forum.

Jando

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Hope you will post some photos of your garden.
Mahalo,
KT

Jan

• Niwashi
    • Oh Brother
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
hi, thanks for the welcomes, I am trying to post photos but "file too big" is the problem and i don't know how to remedy that... i have minimal computer skills.... but would love to share....

the three maples in the yard are just a beautiful red right now.... and about half of the leaves have fallen...

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:54:44 AM »
Jan, I take the photos and email them to myself, it asked me if I want to downsize them for the email, I hit yes.  Then I save them on my desktop and post them on the forum.   I too am not computer savvy but it works for me.

When you hit Browse go to your desktop then hit on your saved photo, hope this helps.  Love to see photos of your maples.

Jando

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:21:19 AM »
Dear Jan,

Jando's method is one way. I use that process when sending photos from my iPad to folks I know don't want large files.

When working on my PC laptop, I use Picasa (free from Google) to handle a lot of photo chores. I can take a large photo, export it to another file on my hard drive and specify the size. I then use that smaller file to upload here.

Hope that helps,
K.T.

Jan

• Niwashi
    • Oh Brother
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 07:03:26 PM »
thank you all for your advice!! once again, i would like to invite you to view my blog... if you look around you can find some pictures of this and that ....... i wil try to figure this all out!!!!  By the way, I can't take any credit for this garden.. (besides general upkeep...) when we bought the house last year, the garden was already well established and designed by a (japanese) professional gardener.... we were lucky to find and buy this house!!

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »
If you can wade through the family pictures and the quilting stuff, i have included my blog address in my profile....
Dear Jan,
I may be particularly computer challenged after a long day's work at someone else's yard, but I can't locate the address for your blog in your posts or on your profile.
Could you post it again please?
Thanks,
K.T.

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
If you can wade through the family pictures and the quilting stuff, i have included my blog address in my profile....
Dear Jan,
I may be particularly computer challenged after a long day's work at someone else's yard, but I can't locate the address for your blog in your posts or on your profile.
Could you post it again please?
Thanks,
K.T.
Ah, at last! Found your blog address, went to your WordPress wonderfulness and thank you for all the photos. It is not at all dificult to "wade through the family pictures and the quilting stuff" as that rounds out the picture of you and your life. Love the side notes on your neighbors, trading sewing tips, pickling ume, your children's haircuts and birthdays, trips to nearby parks and cricks, AND the garden...wonderful.
Thank you,
KT

Japanese