Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hi Everyone, From Delaware, USA  (Read 2407 times)

Gerris2

• Niwashi
    • Growing Japanese Asagao
Hi Everyone, From Delaware, USA
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »
Dear All,

I wanted to extend a greeting to you as a new member of Japanese Gardening web site. I look forward to learning more about traditional Japanese Gardens by reading posts here and interacting with you when I have questions. This way, I will understand more about Japanese culture and be more knowledgeable when I visit a traditional Japanese garden in my part of the world.

While I am not at all experienced in traditional Japanese Gardens, I am an avid grower of many plant groups that are native to Japan. I love growing Ipomoea nil and Ipomoea purpurea varieties that have been developed by the Japanese since Edo Period. I began growing these awesome flowering vines around 2004. Each year I try to do something new and this year I learned a bit more about the Nagoya Tailoring technique for making a bonsai-style plant from a morning glory plant. I found it an absolutely fascinating process. Other plant groups from Japan that grow very well in my gardens include Salvia species, Chrysanthemum (Kiku), and a nice variegated leaf variety of violet.

I visited Japan in 2009 for 3 weeks on business travel. I enjoyed every minute I spent there, and I look forward to returning someday soon on my own time to explore and to learn. I was in Fukuoka for two weeks and in Fukui for one week.

I was attracted to the Japanese Gardening web site initially because I was Google-searching the web for information on how to tie knots to make trellises with bamboo. I watched the video a few times, however, I still need to watch it some more. ;D

Here is a link to my photo pages of the many different Japanese ASAGAO I've grown over the years: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerris2/sets/72157612026554230/ and I began a blog to share information on my experiences growing these plants: http://growingjapaneseasagao.blogspot.com/.

I look forward to my time spent on Japanese Gardening web site.

Best regards,

Joseph Despins
Wilmington, Delaware, USA

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
Re: Hi Everyone, From Delaware, USA
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »
Joseph, welcome...
 :), "Nagoya Tailoring Technique"       8) 
my curiousity is piqued.. please start a thread inside and explain what that one is, and any photos would be instructive as well.
   welcome to the forum,     edzard

Gerris2

• Niwashi
    • Growing Japanese Asagao
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »
I can certainly share my experiences, however I am by no means an expert. Thank you for the warm welcome!

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:02:34 AM »
 ;D  neither am I, thats why I am asking about the Nagoya tailoring technique...     :)  edzard

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:43:58 AM »
Welcome Joseph, I went to your photo site and blog and was amazed at the number of different morning glories you have grown.  I was looking for a photo of the Nagoya tailoring technique, I too have my interest piqued.  I will have to google it also.

Again Welcome to our forum.

Jando

zvone

• Niwashi
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »
Dear All,

I look forward to my time spent on Japanese Gardening web site.

Best regards,

Joseph Despins
Wilmington, Delaware, USA

Hi Joseph!

Welcome on forum.

Congratulations for your wonderful plants and thank you for beautiful photographs.

Garden is never completed story. Every experience, also your, she is welcome.

I wish you it all well.

Best Regards!  zvone