Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Portland, Oregon  (Read 2308 times)

BKashi

• Niwashi
Hello from Portland, Oregon
« on: April 01, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »
Hello and thanks for allowing me to join the forum.  We have a garden design to start in our back yard and I am looking forward to learning more about getting boulders put into position.  We are fortunate to have a great garden to refer to here in Portland.

Blake

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Blake.  Hope you find everything you need here!

tdg

• Portland, Oregon
  • Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »
Blake
Welcome to the forum.  I also live in Portland and have a garden installed after the State destroyed my previous back yard.  My garden is design-installed by Masa Mizuno, who I cannot recommend more highly.  A small back hoe was used for stone placement.  If you have the space and access, this is the easiest method,  if not the old way with a tripod and chain hoist will work, but takes much more time.  We have moved some stone this way and used the tripod to install some lanterns.  I am a horticultural volunteer at the Portland Japanese Garden where you can get a lot of ideas.
Terry

BKashi

• Niwashi
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:04:38 AM »
Don,
Thanks for the warm welcome.  So far so good with respect to ideas and information!

Terry,
Thanks also for the warm welcome and tips.  Toru Tanaka did the design for our garden and I started with the easy part of clearing out the old garden.  Now the strenuous part begins with proper grading and moving boulders.  We don't have easy acces to our back yard so I am weighing in on several options on how to best move boulders.

Cheer,
Blake

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »
Blake,  Welcome and good luck, there are some posts you should look up with help for moving boulders.  But I think when possible you should hire some one to move those babies for you.  It could be the best option for aging gracefully, keeps you standing upright into old age.

Smiles and still standing straight, but having a little trouble getting upright after bending down!

June