Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Yama-Sensei called me today..........  (Read 3807 times)

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
Yama-Sensei called me today..........
« on: May 01, 2007, 08:03:35 PM »
..........his computer is acting up hence the lack of posts recently.   He apologizes for not keeping in touch and wanted me to let everyone know that he is thinking of them.

Yama-Sensei, when you get a chance to get online I just want to say that I will be ready to accept any knowledge you may want to give me and I hope things get better with your computer.

Let's give a big shout out to Yama- Sensei!!!! 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MohaveKid

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi
Re: Yama-Sensei called me today..........
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 11:48:27 PM »
BIG SHOUT !!!!

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
Sansui -> fuukei
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 05:51:12 PM »
yes, indeed...
Yamakami sensei... when you get out of those hells can you answer a question for me/everyone...
please explain the difference between sansui (idealized, internalized landscape - the big in the small) and fuukei (real places/landscapes, why people think the big in the small does not work)
- and the transition is 'where'? and what is the overlap?
preferably sometime before I come to my own conclusions...
 ;D, another good question for you,.. to keep you too busy to work  ;D ;D ;D ;D
            edzard

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:45:12 AM »
Did Yama-san answer this question?  Was I asleep?

Henry

• Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 01:44:54 AM »
Is sansui:fuukei like scenery:country? - but with sansui deriving from Chinese shanshui (shan, mountain, and shui, water).

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 09:55:26 PM »
In my opinion, sansui is the essence of an extroidinary scene of nature that usually includes mountain landscapes and water in some form (cloud, falls, sea, wave, river).  Usually it is ideallic, and sometimes fantastical.  When I first began studying Japanese gardening, I was introduced to the term "karesansui" as meaning "dry mountain river".  After learning a little more about Japanese language and exploring some of these landscapes (in all connotations), I now think of "karesansui" as the forcefull spirits of nature".

FWIW, I attempt a clear answer, but it turns out obtuse:

Is sansui in context of fuukei like scenery in the context of country?  Based on your Romaji, I say probably not literally.  It may be more like this:  The spirit/family/origin of the scene containing adored nature.

I hope Lee will return soon.  She has the skills to properly address this.  Lee!!!!!