Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Sukiya trip May or November  (Read 2870 times)

bwaldo

• Niwashi
Sukiya trip May or November
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
I am considering a Sukiya trip to the gardens in Japan and would like to know from other who have taken the walking tour of Kyoto  the best season to see the gardens.  I love the color of maples in autumn so seeing gardens  in the fall sounds great.  Please include your reasons for your selection.  I am leaning toward  t he fall trip because I have been to Kyoto during Sakura but would like to read some reader comments on this. 

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
Re: Sukiya trip May or November
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »
When I visited Kyoto, it was early October. Maples on Mt. Hiei had just started to turn color. Ginko trees along city streets were bearing fruit. In the two-week visit, only one day's outing was affected by rain. The group with which I traveled was organized by a Buddhist temple in Hawaii.

Mark

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Hyaku
    • Windsmith Design
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:36:13 AM »
Hi bwaldo-

I haven't taken the walking tour, but the peak of sakura is usually in April, maybe toward the middle (around the 15th to the 20th or so, depending on the year).

The peak of momiji is from the middle to the end of November, but late October is usually a good time of year to visit.

Since you ask for comment, for my money I would visit during rainy season, even though the fish is better in the fall.

Mark.

Healeyjet

• Saskatoon, SK Midwest Canada
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »
Annie and I are going this May.  The biggest reason for us is that our boys play sports so it is pretty much the off season.  When will we ever stop organizing our lives around others events. lol  I would bet that either tour would be nice.  I am a huge fan of fall, in fact here in central Canada it can be one of the most pleasant times of the year.
Ward

Japanese