Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Edmonton Canada  (Read 4751 times)

Liviu

• Edmonton, AB
  • Niwashi
Hello from Edmonton Canada
« on: April 24, 2007, 02:54:41 PM »
I remeber when I was about 18-20 years old, and my older brother showed me a picture of the dry garden at Ryōan-ji. That was the first time when I had a glimpse of a world  I knew nothing about.
At the time we were still living in Romania, at the peak of the Communist regime and Ceausescu's dictatorship, with no access to the free world.
I stared at the picture for a long time feeling a detachment and a calmness that is hard to describe, I almost felt that I was right there in the dōjō looking outside the window. Anyway from that moment on, I knew that when I will have my own place that I would call home, I 'll have to recreate that garden/feeling.
It's been over twenty years, and now I live with my wife and daughter in a house on a 2 acres lot. We built it 4 years ago and I still haven't had the time to start working on the garden. First and second year was dedicated to retaining stonewalls, and covering the front facade with "engineered stone"(I came up with a technology and I manufacured them myself enlisting my father-in-law one summer). Third year was dedicated to berm-building, driveway bed and some more accent walls made out of 5"-6" treated fence posts set vertical in concrete. Last summer I had my in-laws back again, helping with gardening (mother), and making some 800 pieces of hex slabs (24" across flats x 3" thick) as pavment for the driveway (father). I did purchased though a cement vibrator and a mixer to make things easier for him and. I managed to lay down about 300 of them before winter came, and now is about time to restart that, plus pouring some other 600 pieces that I still need (long driveway).
Also, last year, some more earth moving/shaping for a future waterfall, creek and a pond in the SW corner of the lot.
Now I am looking at how much I want to do, how little time I have, and wonder if I didn't bite more that I could chew.
I guess I could always pick-up a picture of the "peaceful dragon" and be happy with just that.

Regards,
Liviu
"Men are slower to recognize blessings than misfortunes." Titus Livius

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
Re: Hello from Edmonton Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:26:54 PM »
Welcome to mJG Liviu!!!!!

You share a common thread with many of us, the bite, chew part.

It can get overwhelming but I find solice with a few select words to myself (sanitized for the general public) that goes something like "quit ______thinking about it, go out and do it"

If I was talking to someone else though, it would go something like "a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step". 

Have fun here..... a lot can be learned.

Michael

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 03:57:04 PM »
Hi Liviu!

welcome here, you will learn a lot and make more and more plans!

BTW, looks like you have a wonderful family I would like to borrow! Maybe when you run out of tasks for them!

Andrea

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 07:23:19 AM »
Welcome Liviu, it sounds like you will be sitting on a bench several years from now and smile as you recall the building of your garden.  Take it one step at a time and enjoy the journey.  We will be looking forward to hearing from you as you progress.

Cheers  June 

Liviu

• Edmonton, AB
  • Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:58:23 PM »
June, Andrea and Michael, Thank you for the warm welcome.

Michael, would you believe it, I think of the "thousand miles journey" almost daily, that's how "depressed" I am...he, he.
I discovered, in my case, that the first steps are always easy, as you start something new, but after a mile or two or 20 something change, and it not that easy anymore to take those steps. After you reach the 500 milestone than again things start to look pink (no "weed" involved in this perception) as that imaginary finish line is closer then the start.
In that abstract bite that I took there is a basement to finish (so far framing and wiring is done) with a pool table, shuffle bord, homer theatre, wet bar, 1/2 bath, indoor waterfall and God knows what else might come up. Outside there is a deck at the dining area and one at the master bedroom that I yet have to start. What else? A patio, and of course some more retaining walls and lanscaping.
Lucky me, Cristina, my wife helps A LOT, and so it comes to...

Andrea, yes I have wonderful in-laws (my parents are not bad either just too old to come over), and sometimes I jokingly say that I get along better with my mother-in-law then Cristina does. Last year they helped a lot and hopfully in 2009 they'll come again. Next summer we're going back (20 years faculty reunion).
As for my wife, sometimes I wonder if she's not stronger then me. When it comes to dig trees, or wheelbarrow dirt or compost around, she's like the Energizer bunny. Myself I have to stop and contemplate life now and then... and so it comes to...

June, I'm afraid that I'll be sitting on that bench next year, or that's what my joints are telling me, louder and louder, for the last couple of years. All I can say is thanks for the Holy Trinity: Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM...he, he.

Liviu

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
Don't forget grape seed extract, Liviu!

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 03:29:39 AM »
Don, what about the grape extract, eh ?

Andrea

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 07:36:23 PM »
Grape seed extract is another botanical with impressive potential.  I know a researcher who was using Glucosamine Chondroitin when it was only approved for vet use.  She told me about this one.  Check it out.

Liviu

• Edmonton, AB
  • Niwashi
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 06:38:46 PM »
Don,

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I already tried the "over the counter" grape extract (Muscat Ottonel), as Andrea suggested and it was marvellous.
The best medicine I ever tasted.

Liviu

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 10:13:34 PM »
Was she speaking of the pill form or the bubbly form?  My two current favorite bubblies are Theinot and Duval Leroy, because I can't afford Krug!

On the landscape- small steps, my friend.  After 18 years, I am finally digging my koi pond.  Hope to have water flow by next weekend!

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 11:45:39 PM »
Don, I believe in the natural form, I'm not picky, can be bubbly or not,  red or white, not sweet, good quality! No pills!

Liviu, you have to try more, different remedies, we like Australian, Chilean, South African and off course Hungarian ones. Not big selection here, but the  " DUNAVAR" brand is decent enough / red and white too/.

Cheers ,    Andrea

Japanese