Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: train trip in June  (Read 8725 times)

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
train trip in June
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:11 AM »
My husband Bill and I, in making plans to attend our granddaughter's high school graduation in Atlanta Georgia, began planning a leisurely train trip back across the United States stopping along the way to see and photograph every Japanese garden we can. Generally we are on three rail lines: the Crescent Line, the Texas Eagle and the California Zephyr. Suggestions for contacts, hours, etc. desired for Birmingham Alabama, San Antonio Texas, Austin Texas. Is there a Japanese garden -- public or private -- in New Orleans? We already have contacts for Fort Worth Texas, St Louis Missouri, Chicago, Denver and the San Francisco Bay Area. Dates of travel are May28 through June 23. Many thanks in advance, K.T.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: train trip in June
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
Hi K.T.  There is the Kumamoto En Sister City Japanese garden ( http://www.japanesegardening.org/kumamotoen/ ) in San Antonio as well as a Pseudo-Japanese garden in the Sunken Gardens of Brackenridge Park ( http://www.japanesegardening.org/sunkengardens/index.html ).  Austin has Zilker Park's Taniguchi Japanese Garden ( http://www.zilkergarden.org/gardens/japanese.html ), and of course Ft. Worth has a very nice Japanese Garden (http://fwbg.org/gardens/japanese/ ).

dp
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:56:59 PM by don »

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
Thank you Don. My husband and I look forward to meeting you in June.
I have been to the Fort Worth Japanese Garden before, but my husband hasn't.
I've also been to the Morikami in Delray Beach Florida, Anderson Japanese Gardens and nearby Rosecrance in Rockford Illinois, the Japanese garden at Chicago Botanic Garden, The Japanese Friendship Garden of San Diego at Balboa Park, San Diego Tech Center, California Scenerio in Costa Mesa, the Huntington Botanic Gardens and Storrier-Stearns in Pasadena, UCLA-Hannah Carter in Bel Air California (now closed), and several others.
Some of the gardens along this journey will be new to both of us and some will be like visiting old friends.
Your resources are much appreciated. I'll go wandering around through them more right now.
In gassho,
K.T.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:07:01 PM »
Good. Let me know if you have questions.  Just returned from a planning meeting for events associated with the 25th anniversary of our sister city agreement with Kumamoto City.  We are trying to organize several events - perhaps one may be around the time of your visit!

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »
Thank you so much! Plans are developing day by day. We start in Atlanta after our granddaughter's graduation. Will stay at the old Hotel Nikko (Now Grand Hyatt Atlanta) to see the garden there and to visit the Japanese garden in the Atlanta Botanical Garden Saturday and Sunday May 26 and 27. On to Birmingham to visit the 7 1/2 acre garden in the Birmingham Botanical Garden May 29. Several days in New Orleans with its connection to Lafcadio Hearn. The garden in New Orleans, we read, was restored and expanded following Katrina's devastation. We arrive in San Antonio by train at 3 a.m. on Tuesday June 5 and will rent a car as soon as the car rental place opens at the airport. We have the whole day in San Antonio then proceed to our nephew's home in Austin where the Isamu Taniguchi garden awaits at the Zilker Botanical Garden. After more family visiting in Waco, we arrive in Fort Worth for the weekend June 8 & 9 to re-visit the 7 1/2 acre garden there plus I hope to visit with John Powell at his nursery. On to St. Louis for one day at Seiwa-en then several days in Chicago with side trips to Rockford and Glencoe re-visiting the Anderson and Chicago Botanic Garden. We have Sunday June 17 in Denver then on to Grand Junction and Telluride to visit my brother and see Shozan-en at the Western Colorado Botanical Society. We end up in the San Francisco Bay area with visits planned to Berkeley, Orinda, Oakland and other stops before returning home to Hawaii. Hope that gives you a better idea of our itinerary. Much aloha, KT

tdg

• Portland, Oregon
  • Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:07:12 AM »
Hello Mr & Mrs Cannon-Eger
A suggestion to alter your tremendous train adventure.  Consider taking a more northerly route from Denver and stop in Portland, OR to see our very good Portland Japanese Garden, then continue on the Coast Starlight train to San Francisco.  I think you would find the detour to be worth a few more days time.
Terry

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »
Thank you Terry. Perhaps Portland in the fall! We don't plan for this to be our last great train adventure. I can envision one from Vancouver BC to San Diego with many many stops along the way.
Much aloha,
KT

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
Here's the itinerary as it stands today. Suggestions along the route gratefully accepted.

May 26, Saturday, arrive Grand Hyatt Atlanta (former Hotel Nikko) in Buckhead where Takeo Uesugi's 1990 garden still exists on the same floor as the pool
May 27, Sunday, tour Japanese gardens at Atlanta Botanical Garden and The Carter Center.
May 28, Monday, train to Birmingham then drive to Tuscaloosa for Japanese garden at Westervelt Paper Company and overnight with long-time friends in Fayette.
May 29, Tuesday, tour of Birmingham Botanical Garden and conversation with Friends organization.
May 30, Wednesday, train to New Orleans
May 31, Thursday, in New Orleans -- Yakumo Nihon Teien at City Park in New Orleans
June 1, Friday, rent car and drive to Baton Rouge and St. Francisville for Imahara's Botanical Garden (a new venture by a high school classmate of my husband's first cousin)
June 2, Saturday, in New Orleans
June 3, Sunday, in New Orleans
June 4, Monday, overnight train to San Antonio
June 5, Tuesday, two gardens in San Antonio plus another at a nearby restaurant (?)
June 6, Wednesday, to Taniguchi garden at Zilker Botanical Garden in Austin and possibly the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center at UT-Austin
June 7, Thursday, train to Fort Worth
June 8, Friday, visit Fort Worth Botanical Garden, sister city Nagaoka, and possibly John Powell's nursery in Weatherford
June 9. Saturday, visit maple nursery in Fort Worth and new Japanese garden in Dallas
June 10, Sunday, overnight train to St. Louis
June 11, Monday, visit Seiwa-en at Missouri Botanical Garden
June 12, Tuesday, train to Chicago
June 13, Wednesday, rent car and drive to Rockford for Anderson and Rosecrance and possibly continue on to Janesville, Wisconsin to visit Rotary Garden. Grant Park Music Festival begins.
June 14, Thursday, visit Elizabeth Hubert Mallott Japanese Garden at Chicago Botanic Garden
June 15, Friday, visit Osaka Garden at Jackson Park and possibly garden at former Nikko Hotel, now Westin in the Loop.
June 16, Saturday, overnight train to Denver
June 17, Sunday, visit Shofu-en at Denver Botanic Garden
June 18, Monday, train to Grand Junction, drive to Telluride
June 19, Tuesday, in Telluride
June 20, Wednesday, drive back to Grand Junction and see Western Colorado Botanical Gardens then get on overnight train to Emmeryville, California
June 21, Thursday, arrive 4 p.m., rent a car and stay overnight in Berkeley
June 22, Friday, visit gardens in Berkeley Oakland, Orinda then overnight in Vacaville with long-time friend.
June 23, Saturday, drive back to San Francisco and stay at Queen Anne Hotel near Japan town.
June 24, Sunday, in San Francisco: morning services at SF Buddhist temple then to Japanese tea garden in Golden Gate Park and afternoon chamber music concert at SF Symphony with long-time friend
June 25, Monday, in San Francisco: possible tour of private rooftop corporate garden; Golden Gate Park and Strybing Arboretum; Japan town shopping
June 26, Tuesday, in San Francisco: last day to catch up with friends, Marin, Presedio, etc.
June 27, Wednesday, fly home to Hawaii

Healeyjet

• Saskatoon, SK Midwest Canada
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »
WOW!  That will be a fantastic trip!  It looks very well planned out and very busy.  Looks like fun though. We were in San Fransisco and area in May of 2011 and we really enjoyed the Japanese garden in Golden Gate Park.  It was well maintained and if you get there early the crowds aren't too bad.  Anderson is also a beautiful garden.  We were there in fall of 2009 and it was a beautiful garden and a great place to spend time.
Ward

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:16:29 PM »
Healeyjet: Yes, fantastic indeed. My husband and I are as excited as two kids at a birthday party waiting for cake and ice cream to be served. I hope to get a few lessons from a friend in blogging before we go so we can share more. Meanwhile, information and photos will be made available to Japanese Gardening Forum.

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »
The learning curve continues! A little more than an month ago, I realized the binder of information I'd collected for this trip was too big and too heavy to carry in my backpack along with computer and camera gear. Reluctantly, I modernized to the new iPad. I love it! The entire travel binder is now a series of files in Dropbox available on the iPad PLUS my entire address book is being transferred PLUS I've got photos and books and a calendar and and and ...
Well, see the aforementioned "I love it!"
A few days ago, the next learning curve began with a WordPress blog.
You may follow the railroad odyssey at http://us-japanesegardens.com
We are almost done packing and get on the plane tomorrow morning. More soon.
KT

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
See you soon!  Let me know if you need any resources here on JGO!

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »
Have I mentioned how MUCH we are enjoying this train trip? It's so amazing -- better than either my husband or I expected. The people are interesting, the food is good, the accommodations are comfortable, the windows are huge, and the attitude is uplifting. The motto for Amtrak is "Change the way you see the world." Yes.
I'm feeling two states and four gardens behind on blogging about all the wonderful gardens we are seeing. Tomorrow, we will be on the train and I'll plug in at the lounge car and try to get a little more done. Meanwhile, thanks, Don, for all the time you spent with us and for featuring the blog on the front page. Wow!

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
You and Bill were a delight.  It was like we were old friends!  Thank you for the honor of your visit.

Thank you both for sharing and I look forward to collaboration in the future!
dp

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »
For any who have been looking at the blog of our train adventures http://us-japanesegardens.com apologies for not posting recently. The day before the end of our trip I tripped on an uneven section of sidewalk in San Francisco and fractured my right ankle. Getting around with crutches now and should have the delayed cities posted soon: San Antonio, Austin, Ft. Worth, Dallas, St. Louis, Rockford, Glencoe, Chicago, Denver, Grand Junction, Berkeley, Oakland, Orinda and San Francisco.

Japanese