Front Desk- Open To Public > Japanese Garden Travel Resources

train trip in June

<< < (2/4) > >>

tdg:
Hello Mr & Mrs Cannon-Eger
A suggestion to alter your tremendous train adventure.  Consider taking a more northerly route from Denver and stop in Portland, OR to see our very good Portland Japanese Garden, then continue on the Coast Starlight train to San Francisco.  I think you would find the detour to be worth a few more days time.
Terry

K.T. Cannon-Eger:
Thank you Terry. Perhaps Portland in the fall! We don't plan for this to be our last great train adventure. I can envision one from Vancouver BC to San Diego with many many stops along the way.
Much aloha,
KT

K.T. Cannon-Eger:
Here's the itinerary as it stands today. Suggestions along the route gratefully accepted.

May 26, Saturday, arrive Grand Hyatt Atlanta (former Hotel Nikko) in Buckhead where Takeo Uesugi's 1990 garden still exists on the same floor as the pool
May 27, Sunday, tour Japanese gardens at Atlanta Botanical Garden and The Carter Center.
May 28, Monday, train to Birmingham then drive to Tuscaloosa for Japanese garden at Westervelt Paper Company and overnight with long-time friends in Fayette.
May 29, Tuesday, tour of Birmingham Botanical Garden and conversation with Friends organization.
May 30, Wednesday, train to New Orleans
May 31, Thursday, in New Orleans -- Yakumo Nihon Teien at City Park in New Orleans
June 1, Friday, rent car and drive to Baton Rouge and St. Francisville for Imahara's Botanical Garden (a new venture by a high school classmate of my husband's first cousin)
June 2, Saturday, in New Orleans
June 3, Sunday, in New Orleans
June 4, Monday, overnight train to San Antonio
June 5, Tuesday, two gardens in San Antonio plus another at a nearby restaurant (?)
June 6, Wednesday, to Taniguchi garden at Zilker Botanical Garden in Austin and possibly the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center at UT-Austin
June 7, Thursday, train to Fort Worth
June 8, Friday, visit Fort Worth Botanical Garden, sister city Nagaoka, and possibly John Powell's nursery in Weatherford
June 9. Saturday, visit maple nursery in Fort Worth and new Japanese garden in Dallas
June 10, Sunday, overnight train to St. Louis
June 11, Monday, visit Seiwa-en at Missouri Botanical Garden
June 12, Tuesday, train to Chicago
June 13, Wednesday, rent car and drive to Rockford for Anderson and Rosecrance and possibly continue on to Janesville, Wisconsin to visit Rotary Garden. Grant Park Music Festival begins.
June 14, Thursday, visit Elizabeth Hubert Mallott Japanese Garden at Chicago Botanic Garden
June 15, Friday, visit Osaka Garden at Jackson Park and possibly garden at former Nikko Hotel, now Westin in the Loop.
June 16, Saturday, overnight train to Denver
June 17, Sunday, visit Shofu-en at Denver Botanic Garden
June 18, Monday, train to Grand Junction, drive to Telluride
June 19, Tuesday, in Telluride
June 20, Wednesday, drive back to Grand Junction and see Western Colorado Botanical Gardens then get on overnight train to Emmeryville, California
June 21, Thursday, arrive 4 p.m., rent a car and stay overnight in Berkeley
June 22, Friday, visit gardens in Berkeley Oakland, Orinda then overnight in Vacaville with long-time friend.
June 23, Saturday, drive back to San Francisco and stay at Queen Anne Hotel near Japan town.
June 24, Sunday, in San Francisco: morning services at SF Buddhist temple then to Japanese tea garden in Golden Gate Park and afternoon chamber music concert at SF Symphony with long-time friend
June 25, Monday, in San Francisco: possible tour of private rooftop corporate garden; Golden Gate Park and Strybing Arboretum; Japan town shopping
June 26, Tuesday, in San Francisco: last day to catch up with friends, Marin, Presedio, etc.
June 27, Wednesday, fly home to Hawaii

Healeyjet:
WOW!  That will be a fantastic trip!  It looks very well planned out and very busy.  Looks like fun though. We were in San Fransisco and area in May of 2011 and we really enjoyed the Japanese garden in Golden Gate Park.  It was well maintained and if you get there early the crowds aren't too bad.  Anderson is also a beautiful garden.  We were there in fall of 2009 and it was a beautiful garden and a great place to spend time.
Ward

K.T. Cannon-Eger:
Healeyjet: Yes, fantastic indeed. My husband and I are as excited as two kids at a birthday party waiting for cake and ice cream to be served. I hope to get a few lessons from a friend in blogging before we go so we can share more. Meanwhile, information and photos will be made available to Japanese Gardening Forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version