Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hi from West Texas!  (Read 1650 times)

gerronsh

• Niwashi
Hi from West Texas!
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:25:33 AM »
I am a semi-retired preservation architect living in San Angelo.  I am moving across town to live and work in the Old Chicken Farm Art Center.  Between my apartment and studio is a fenced in garden space.  I want to create a Japanese garden in that space.  I created a Japanese garden next to a naural dry creek bed about fifty years ago when we were living in Napa Valley before going off to college.  I really enjoyed designing and constructing the garden and want to do it again.  I think I will create a dry water feature (raked gravel) as we are in a long term drought. I will also include a small basin of moving water to create that special sound.

My immediate question concerns constructing a daimyo fence.  What kind of bamboo is used to construct this type of fence?  I do not own the property so cost is a consideration.  Has anyone used something other than bamboo to create the appearance of a daimyo fence?

Gerron S. Hite

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Hi from West Texas!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 05:04:46 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!  I suppose you have noticed a slight difference between Napa and San Angelo?  ; )  Sounds like you have an interesting project ahead of you. I would direct you to japanesegardening.org and to the reference section.  There you will find a decent section on fences, including daimyo. I will post another answer to your question under the bamboo section below.