Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Greetings from the Chicago area  (Read 2200 times)

jagardener

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi
  • Jim Anderson
Greetings from the Chicago area
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »
Hello to all.

A little bit about my background.  I am a gardener/Horticulturist at Anderson Japanese Gardens in Rockford, Illinois.  I have been here for the last six years. My duties include everything from pruning to pest management.  Prior to this I had worked as a safety consultant in the commercial insurance industry for a decade, while studying Horticulture and Landscape Design at night.   

Working at Anderson Gardens has been a great learning experience.  We always seem to have some sort of project going on and the variety of experiences have taught me much over the years.  The opportunity to work with Hoichi Kurisu, as well as the rest of our staff and the many skilled craftsman that have contributed to the garden has been very educational. 

I am happy to have found this forum and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

Jim

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
Re: Greetings from the Chicago area
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »
Welcome Jim, it is great to have you here.  I am in Belvidere and my first experience with a Japanese Garden many years ago, when Anderson's Gardens was private, was touring Anderson's.  Since then I have watched the Garden evolve and would love to have you share some of your experiences with us.

I know you have to be constantly pruning with the labor available there to keep the garden looking the way it does.  A great thread would be the effect on the plants when pruned throughout the year, not always at the best time or recommended time for the plant.  Do some plants react better than others and what issues come up because of the time of pruning.  Oops, I hope you forgive me for asking so many questions.

Great to have you here, we look forward to your involvement.

June

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »
Glad to have you here, Jim.  It sounds like you are in a good place for learning.  Don't waste a single day - learn everything you can - then share it with us here!!!

Don

JamesT

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »
Welcome Jim,

Looking forward to hearing your observations and interactions.

James

jagardener

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi
  • Jim Anderson
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 07:24:10 PM »
Thank you all for your greetings. 

I will be happy to contribute whatever I am able too.  I am sure I will at least be able to come up with some questions if not answers.   

Jando I will try to answer your questions in a thread in the future.

I have been browsing through the members only forum categories and have been quite impressed by the level of discourse that is presented here.  I am excited to dig in and learn from all of you.

Jim Anderson,
Horticulturist
ISA Certified Arborist IL-5373A
Anderson Japanese Gardens

tdg

• Portland, Oregon
  • Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »
Welcome Jim,
I toured your garden a couple years ago.  Here in Portland, I have a Japanese garden at my home and also volunteer 4 hours a week as horticulture support to our gardeners at the Portland Japanese Garden.  I have just taken on a volunteer job helping with the forum calendar updates.  Please send any special classes or functions at your garden so I can include them in the forum calendar.  Thank you,  we look forward to any posting that you can do.
Terry

Josh

• Niwashi
    • Grand Island Serene Gardens
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
Hi Jim,
 I haven't visited your gardens yet but it is definately on the "Must See" list. Welcome to the forum.
Joshua M. Smith, PhD