Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hi from NC  (Read 186 times)

ajbell

• Niwashi
Hi from NC
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »
Hi All

I am from the UK but now living in North Carolina.

My wife and I have just bought my first home in the US and I want to re-do the front
and back yard areas and I am interested in creating a Japanese Or Japanese "style" garden
as my wife and I both like the clean simplicity of this style.

I will post some pictures in a more appropriate section as we have just cleared an area and need some help and advise !!

Andrew Bell

tdg

• Portland, Oregon
  • Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
Re: Hi from NC
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »
Hello Andrew.
Welcome to the forum.  My garden is about 1/2 acre and was made about 20 years ago by one of the former garden directors of Portland Japanese Garden.  At that time the State of Oregon had used eminent domain to destroy 30 foot width of our back yard the entire length.  Because of time demand from our business, professional install was the best idea.  After all this time, I still agree the correct decision was made and the design was done by a Japanese gardener trained in Japan who has become a friend and we still spend 2 days per year together on consulting and Maple pruning and Pine pruning.  Several forum members are garden professionals and sometimes will share some ideas if extra time allows. One of the forum directors is Andrew Deane in Japan.  He has given his multiyear research project to the Japanese Gardening Organization.  If you go to the home page you will find a link to see some of this work.  You can spend many hours learning from hundreds of photos.

I hope that you will post results as you make changes.  Japanese Gardening is NOT low maintenance but it is worth the effort.
Terry

ajbell

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 12:17:42 PM »
Hi Terry

Thanks for the welcome.
I will certainly post pictures but for the moment it is just a patch of earth.

thirdstone

• Niwashi
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:10:52 PM »
Hi Andrew, and welcome to NC! What part of the state are you in? I am a professional gardener/landscaper in Asheville NC, specializing in Japanese style gardens. You'll find a lot of Japanese style gardens and resources here in the area (if you're near Raleigh or the research triangle area you should check out the new Japanese garden at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens at Duke, designed by Sadafumi Uchiyama).

Jeff

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 07:31:57 AM »
Andrew,
Welcome to the Forum!

... Michael in Seattle

Japanese