Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Greetings from Calgary, Canada  (Read 1811 times)

prairiegurl

• Niwashi
Greetings from Calgary, Canada
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:15:20 PM »
My name is Mireille.  I am sorry I lacked the confidence to join this forum in the past.  I became interested in Japanese Gardening from a tidbit I read as a secondary teacher of religious education.  The more I read and looked into Japanese gardens, the more interested I became.  I am terribly new at all there is to learn and know and am gathering information and trying to make decisions related to how to construct my garden.  Nikka Yuko is the only Japanese garden I have seen in person.  Challenges, zone 3, existing features, the more I learn - the less I realize I know, deciding how to balance my own heritage and tastes with what would not be considered offensive by experts, the strange fact that many books in the English language seem to contradict each other in their presentation of historical evolution of the Japanese garden, meanings or symbolism, and lack practical application.  For a beginner it is all too intimidating at times.  I wish to respect the garden spirit without neglecting my own.  Does that make sense?  I am hoping to read through posts and glean information and perhaps ask a question or two.  Teacher becomes student :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:19:24 PM by prairiegurl »

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Greetings from Calgary, Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »
Welcome Mireille.  Don't be intimidated, it is a fun and interesting journey to learn and plan your own Japanese garden.  It sounds like you may have a perspective that will aid you most do not start out with!

I encourage you to post your questions about the history of Japanese gardens, as well as your other questions, in the appropriate sections.  We are all teachers and we are all students.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
Re: Greetings from Calgary, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
Mireille....         please be welcome..       
there are several schools of garden thought and for many reasons they all disagree with each other over something somewhere. Perhaps it is human nature, or simply the need to disagree, or for the depth of their perception as a result of their sensitivity to nature or the different types of exposure to nature (or different natural locales, ie: Tokyo and Kyoto, marsh and mountain)
          edzard

Japanese