Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello From Stratford Ontario  (Read 1655 times)

m_wonnacott

• Niwashi
Hello From Stratford Ontario
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:26:58 AM »
Hello all my name is Melinda and I am in the planing stages of a Japanese inspired garden in both my front and back yard.   Keeping in mind we have two young children of 2 and 4 as well as a young dog a portion of the backyard will remain grass and we will be installing an underground fence for the dog that will keep her out of the gardens when we are not with her, as she can be a bit of a digger at times particularly when dirt is exposed.

I say inspired as a true form I don't believe is possible due to a few limitations with the property we live on.  One being we are unable to put up a fence (I may be able to but up some sort of screens but the would need to be secured somehow yet be easily moved due to the second issue.  We have a septic pit or something of the like anyways that is between us and the nighbours.  Accessing this has already caused the removal of a number of shrubs that used to devide between the two properties.  Luckily we get along well with our neighbours. 

We have begun some work on the front yard some of which I am afraid I have done totaly wrong but am willing to change things around.  This will be a fairly slow process over the next few years.  I also am in need of some help with one of the young J maples I planted last year so will be asking about that in the J maples section of the forum. 

I look forward to all the help I can get.  Also looking for advise on a good book or two to get me started.  I am also happy to answer any questions as best I can.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
Re: Hello From Stratford Ontario
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
welcome Melinda...
:), in my mind not having a fence on a garden does not lessen a garden space. The question of 'fence' is more 'what form of enclosure is used? and how noticeable is it?' An enclosure can be very subtle, and I would like to suggest that one not worry too much about 'real or not real' or other labels and more about 'good' if a label is needed..           welcome.. hopefully we can assist if you wish assistance

m_wonnacott

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:04:18 PM »
One question I have is how do I go about posting pictures on this forum?

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »
Welcome,  I too can not have a fence, other than around our swimming pool.  State and County laws supersede our Subdivision by-laws because of the swimming pool.  But you can screen with plants instead of a fence. Your septic area is the perfect place for the green grassy area you wanted.  Lots of things we think are problems tend not to be when we think of alternatives that will serve our needs.

This is how I post a photo.  I just email my photos to myself, my computer usually will ask you if you want to downsize them for emailing, I answer yes.  This makes them a perfect size to post.  Then I save the photo I emailed myself on my desktop.   Below the white box we type our replies in is Additional Options, I hit browse, this takes me to my computer files, I click desktop, then the photo I saved on my desktop.  It works pretty smoothly for me.   Hope that helps you.

Good lcuk,

June
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:37:32 PM by Jando »

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
Welcome! Young dog - yeah that is sometimes a challenge and sometimes not if the dog is there during the development with you.

June and Edzard already have you on your way.  Let me know if you need help with photos.

Don