Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Green Leaf Waterfall Maple:  (Read 3363 times)

Steve

• North Texas
  • Niwashi Hyaku
Green Leaf Waterfall Maple:
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:25:54 AM »
Hi,
This spring when my tree put out new foliage there was none in the 
center? Could it be from the 8 degree weather we had in TX, or could 
it be from something else? I can not find any signs of bug damage. 
What should I do, just wait and see since the rest of the tree looks 
fine? Or should I give it a soaking and spray with say "Thrive" or 
"Garrett Juice"?

Thanks,
Steve

Susan

• Pittsburgh PA - Zone 5Bish
  • Niwashi
Re: Green Leaf Waterfall Maple:
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
Hi Steve,

Am I understanding your question right, you're concerned that the leaves are not growing at the base of the branches, close to the trunk? If so, the tree seems fine to me. I'm not an arborist, but if you look at mature Japanese maples, the leaves grow at the tips of the branches, not the base. They wouldn't do much good further in where they don't get sunlight for photosynthesis. Maybe the gap in leaves is just a matter that can be solved by growth and careful pruning.

We have others here who are far more expert on this than I, but my first reaction to your picture is not to worry.

Good luck,
Susan
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-- Dr. Seuss

Steve

• North Texas
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »
The branches on the inside are mostly dead. Should they be pruned or should I just wait?
Steve

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
Sus is right as usual....
that one needs a structural haircut to let in the light...       ;D

Susan

• Pittsburgh PA - Zone 5Bish
  • Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:27:23 PM »
Too much credit...I would be blushing if I weren't so tired. ;)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-- Dr. Seuss

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »
Sus! It is a good sign that you would still blush...

Steve, depends on what you want. 
At that height, clean out the top and see what lives to increase the vigor of the plant, if you want it to grow more.
Height: then prune and lift the growth.
If wider and taller, then prune the innards and the top so that it stretches out and leave offset vertical leaders on main cascades that will make a new trunk line to your taste in Beauty.

(and, you are also correct in keeping inner growth close to the trunk alive :. keeping what is alive on the inside shaded and protected is a good back up plan)     edzard

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 05:26:34 AM »
Hi Steve, How long have you had your maple in the ground?  Don gave me some really good advice to have a boulder near the base of the tree, it keeps the roots warmer in winter and cooler in summer.  Have you had your soil tested, I had to add a soil acidifier to my soil and my maples are doing much better, lots of growth and are really getting lush.  I doubt the eight degree weather would hurt it, but how dry did it get over winter, sometimes we need to water even in winter? What about wind? Trying to trouble shoot for you and cover all the bases.  We hate for our plants to decline in front of our eyes. 

Good luck,

June

Steve

• North Texas
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:02:33 AM »
Thanks for the advice, etc. My ph is 7.3 and yes I do water in the winter. The tree is a 45 gallon and has been in the ground for 3 years. It only gets morning sun. There is still some new growth on the inside so maybe it will just take a while longer. Photosynthesis makes some since, but the last 2 years I did not have this situation? Actually more light this year with tree trimming in Feb.

Edzard, are you saying I can prune now? I think I should wait till the winter months???
Steve

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »
Steve.. all you are doing is providing direction and light.
That will make it grow 'faster' by observation, though is only directional pruning.
If you prune after the leaves have matured then you will be weakening the plant.